Charles Fischer

It Was All Mental, Cam..,

On 10/14/2023 at 6:54 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

Im not sold on the Fuskies being a good TEAM. They have a great QB and some pretty good receivers and a decent coach. The Fuskies came out as the aggressors.

I disagree. We did not beat ourselves, we played really good ball. If they aren't a good team then neither are we.

Eye test says these were 2 top 10 teams slugging it out possibly at a higher level than Texas vs. OU last week.

Edited by Solar
  • Thumbs Up 4

There is really only one blame for this game. Coaches Stien and Lanning. Steins play calling on fourth down reminded me of why I hated MarinoOs coaching style. Where was the imagination of a good offensive coordinator. Washington new what we were going to call but we did it anyway.

Always take the points on the road Always Always Always. Lanning that is on YOU. 

Our kids played their ARS off and coaching let them down

No way should we have lost that game….😞

• Thumbs Up 4

On 10/14/2023 at 6:11 PM, Mike West said:

I believe Stein took what they gave him.  He did throw to Franklin-almost a desperate play near the end at that.  They made more plays than we did.  Heck, I've already pointed out 14 points from SIMPLE mistakes. Could it be Lanning had to outscore his defense, hence the risky decisions?

They took Franklin away.  Their NT blew up a one on one matchup that forced the 4th and 3.  That is called making a play.  I don't believe that run on 3rd down was a mistake. Analytics would back me on that.  We ran for nearly 200 yards.  That is well above average.  We executed clutch more than 60% of the time in that very situation.

This came down to the players.  Plain and simple.  They are as good as we are.  They made more plays today than we did today.  Nobody wants to give them credit.  They stopped us after an unforced INT for crying out loud.  Play calling didn't make that happen.   They executed.  In fact, Nix directed a covered Franklin on that play.  On the kind of call you asked for in fact.  

I am going to run the ball when I average 6 yards a carry through most of the game.  I will call play action (Stein did several times) when they crowd the box.  I will throw to my go to guy in clutch situations (Stein did in the 4Q).  

Everything you mentioned was done.  Except kicking and punting in typical situations most coaches would take.  I say those coaches lose because quite frankly, they are even more explosive than we are.  They scored their final TD in two plays.  Just like last year.  Is there any logic in thinking you might as well trust your explosive and reliable offense when your defense is getting served the same dish as last year (with better players on defense at that)?

I don't see it.  They would have driven 99 7/8 yards for a TD the way the Safeties gave up the middle of the field, the advantage they got from both the refs and clearly plenty of practice at 50/50 balls in tight coverage.  They were making plays we weren't making.  It really, really, did I say really? came down to that.

Second guess Lanning all you want, but give them the credit they deserve.  

We missed a tying FG -did you forget that?

Even if ALL you say is true, and it very well may be, Ducks’ chances of winning that game would have greatly increased had they chose to kick those two early field goals and punt the ball.

The 49ers kicker, Moody missed a 41 yard field goal that would have been a game winner. Even NFL kickers miss from 40 plus when the game is on the line. 

• Like 1