Jon Joseph

12 TEAM PLAYOFF USING WEEK 6 AP POLL

1. Georgia - SEC vs 9 Oregon Pac-12 at 8 Michigan AL

2. Iowa - B1G vs 10 Michigan State AL at 7 Penn State AL

3. Cincinnati AAC vs 11 Kentucky AL at 6 Ohio State AL

4. Oklahoma B12 vs 12 Coastal Carolina Sun Belt at 5 Alabama AL

3 1st round home games for the B1G - 5 B1G teams in the field.

This will be far different once MI, MI ST, OH ST + Penn State play one another.

If the Committee was voting today, Cincinnati would not be in the top 4.

Looking at CFB to date and over the last 4 seasons for the Pac-12, did the ACC, Pac-12 and especially the B1G, overreact to OK/UT joining the SEC?

I get the financial situation with ESPN having the broadcast exclusive rights through 2025, but IMO the Pac-12 needs expansion sooner than later. 

12 too many? Go with 8. P5 champs and with the additions to the B12 I'd keep the conference in the P5. Cincy now #3 and BYU now ranked #19 are coming on board to join #12 OK ST and a Baylor team that should be #25 instead of Texas. One spot goes to the top G5 team and 2 AL completes the field. 

Under today's conference structure, this would produce a field of 1UGA, 2 Iowa, 3 Cincinnati, 4. Oklahoma, 5. Bama, 6.Ohio State, 7 Oregon and 8 Wake Forest. 

No byes. Play the quarter finals at the top 4 ranked schools; Oregon at Iowa. Turn week zero into week 1 for everyone and the champ game could be played on January1.

Jon....where do the bowls fit into your suggestion?

Dye1-83.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/11/2021 at 2:11 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Jon....where do the bowls fit into your suggestion?

Dye1-83.jpg

I'm biased but I'd have the semi-finals rotate among 5 of the  NY6 Bowls and the champ game played in the Rose Bowl on 1/1. 

Jon, someday there'll be a 16-game college football playoff format. 

To make it super simple - just play a 4 team playoff AFTER all the traditional bowl games have been played.  For example, this season:  Cincy and Coastal Carolina could play some top teams in bowl games.  Then pick your top 4 ranked teams after all the bowl games.  With power 5 conf championship games in the mix as well, you will get a true top 4 when the bowl games are done. 

And the best part is - the traditional meaning of the bowl games are restored.  The bad part would be top teams knocking each other off in post season games before the playoffs start.  But no system is going to be perfect. 

To go to 16, the conf championship games would probably have to be scrapped, which would be OK if they went that deep in the playoffs. 

I hate the bye round for the top seeds.  Too much of an advantage.  Football has injuries - its not like playing an extra baseball/hockey/basketball game.

Or shorten the season by a game or two, and give everybody a couple of extra games that would be good matchups at the end of the season. 

We now know why the SEC favored the 12 team format, they had already known Texas/Oklahoma were coming to their conference to improve their odds of making the playoffs so getting those bye games is swung in their favor.  It has to be an 8 or 16 game format.