Charles Fischer

MORE to Lift our Duck Spirits! (Winning!)

No. 14 Ducks Rally Past Stanford in Five

EUGENE, Ore. – Facing a 2-1 match deficit in Sunday’s top-20 match against Stanford, the No. 14 Oregon volleyball team rallied for a five-set victory (25-21, 23-25, 23-25, 25-23, 15-11) at Matthew Knight Arena. The win is the program’s first over Stanford in a decade. With the triumph, the Ducks are 14-2 this season with a 5-1 mark in Pac-12 play.

“It was really hard-fought match by both sides,” head coach Matt Ulmer said. “I don’t know if it was the prettiest but there were a lot of big blockers and lots scrappy defense all over the place, and serving was pretty aggressive. I’m really proud of our group.”

The Ducks have won seven of eight on their home floor this season and improve to 3-1 in five setters in the 2021 campaign. Stanford entered the day as the 17th-ranked team in the country.

“We were all going out swinging,” Brooke Nuneviller said. “We were over-communicating which is something we’d struggled with in matches. I thought we just went out there and fought really hard. It was really nice to see. It was a really big turnaround for. That was a huge win so I’m really proud.”

“I think my favorite part was that we earned our points at the end,” Ulmer said. “We actually went out there and we scored the points. I thought that was really important for our group.”

Oregon’s home stand continues Thursday against No. 11 Washington. First serve is scheduled for 7 p.m. (PT) at Matthew Knight Arena.

(Press Release from Oregon Athletics)

Oregon beats Stanford 2021_GoDucks.com.jpg

• Like 1

Mr. FishDuck