Pennsylvania Duck

Canzano: Running Toward 2024... With a Look Back

I didn't know BMW ever made any front wheel drive cars.  They can actually be good in snow, more weight is over the drive axle typically.  Modern (studless) snow tires make 4WD unnecessary unless it's really deep.  I live in Central Oregon too.  I've had Accords and we have a newer turbo Jetta now (with a stick shift).  Got my fricken-150 of course.

Did anyone get anything else out of that article?

• Thumbs Up 1

This article reminded me of sometjing Keith Richards once said about rap music, 'so many words, so little said'.

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Every front wheel drive car I've had has handled not only snow but ice very well. I dont think BMW makes a FWD only maybe a 4 wheel dr but that would be the SUVs.

OK so I did some hunting and found out that only recently BMWs are making front wheel driver autos----- like in the last 3 years.

Edited by 1Ducker1
research
  • Thumbs Up 1

BMW does rear and awd.

I have an old e46 rwd that I love, and has great traction control for a rwd car.

My guess is that he had rwd but wanted fwd and just didn't word it very well in the story...?

I have to admit that I very much disliked JC when he was at the Oregonian but I've liked him much better since he's been out on his own. But I must say the OSU slant to the Pac-2 saga is getting tired.

Anyway, tires are 90% of the battle in terms of winter driving...

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/26/2023 at 8:30 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

Every front wheel drive car I've had has handled not only snow but ice very well. I dont think BMW makes a FWD only maybe a 4 wheel dr but that would be the SUVs.

OK so I did some hunting and found out that only recently BMWs are making front wheel driver autos----- like in the last 3 years.

The X drive cars have been around a long time (4WD).  The X3 and X5 (SUVs) are more recent.

This is me pondering the point of Canzano's article:

krule-john-c-reilly.thumb.gif.a19b7fd8a88656520254fbdf4e4c1f18.gif