Charles Fischer

Oregon Mens Basketball: Too Many Surprises?

I really felt that Dana has assembled too-much talent before the season began, as there would not be enough playing time at guard and small forward.  But the first surprise--all the injuries, as been offset a ton by all the depth built.

With Bittle out for the season--we can only hope for a late-season run when Dante' is back and healthy again.  But for now--it seems the Mens team is fighting hard and beating teams that are so-so and a bit better.  

Surprises for Me?

Jackson Shelstad: A freshman point guard coming right in and making clutch plays from the beginning?  Whew!  Truly a state product we can be proud to watch.

Kwame Evans: A 6'9" forward who has made outstanding plays as a raw freshman as well.  Without these two freshmen?  Oregon would be in dire-straits, IMHO.

Give me your thoughts and surprises...

Kwame Evans

Kwame Evans Jr., Oregon, Small Forward

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Shelstad looks like the real deal, coming in as a freshman ready to compete. Very impressive so far.

I'm anxious to see how Mookie Cook does.

I forgot!

Oregon (8-3) plays USC (6-5) tonight at Matt Arena, and is on ESPN2 at 6:15 PM!  (PST)

Jackson Shelstad

Jackson Shelstad - Men's Basketball - University of Oregon Athletics

Mr. FishDuck

Charles, I agree with you about Shelstad and Evans - both are solid and will only get better/smoother with time.  I am most pleasantly surprised by Kario Oquendo, a big, powerful guard who can drive to the basket.  Ever see the legs/lower body on this guy?  He's like Elgin Cook driving to the basket but who can also shoot outside.

Definitely going to be a great game tonight - Pac12 opener against the hated Trojans.  Bronny's gonna regret not signing with the Ducks - didn't want him anyway.  Can't wait! 

• Applause 1

I'm not surprised at all with Shelstad, I think he'll be a lot better than Pritchard by next year, it's just if he'll stay for 3 years...I think if Cook was healthy, he and Shelstad and Evans are going to be a huge core starting group.  Keep Dante healthy, and Kario and the other guards...look out.

Curious on thoughts about the bigs being out...are we better?  One good big has never hurt, especially for the D side, against teams with a great 4 or 5...but Altman's history has been more of a small-ball style with great passing, and shooting, which the last couple years, we have not shot well at all.  Bittle and Dante didn't seem to compliment that well when they were both healthy, they are both really the same position, didn't seem to blend trying to play 4 and 5 together.  Seemed better giving each other a breather. 

Big's that can shoot the perimeter are the rage nowadays...how does that fit DA's style?

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not really surprised by the play of any of the players, they have talent, Shelsted was going to be good, he might be a bit ahead of schedule, but you saw in high school how he could compete and even dominate some of the best high school teams out there with a team that had heart but not a lot of other high end talent.

Evans has improved through the season, he's beginning to hit his shots, I think he's adjusting to the physicality of college basketball, tonight he had his best game, really beginning to flash some talent.  

Everyone else is right where I thought they would be, Couisnard and Oquendo have their moments but are streaky, Rigsby is solid, Diawara is fine but is now being overplayed since he's a backup, Tracey and Barthelemew are fine for their roles.  We just really need Dante to come back along with Cook to fill out the wing/small 4 position.  It's a team that I think if they can get those two will probably be a bubble team since they don't really have much of a non-conference resume, and the Pac-12 is pretty weak other than Zona.

Freshmen Shelstad and Evans carry Ducks to Pac-12 opening win over USC's star-studded roster

The Ducks moved to 1-0 in Pac-12 play behind 43 combined points from freshmen Kwame Evans Jr. and Jackson Shelstad.

247SPORTS.COM

The Ducks moved to 1-0 in Pac-12 play behind 43 combined points from freshmen Kwame Evans Jr. and Jackson Shelstad.

• Applause 1