mikethehiker

Counting Our Duck Blessings from 2023

I know a lot of us have mixed feelings about our 2023 football campaign, because we fell short of winning the last Pac-12 title and a playoff spot.  We had a special quarterback with a lot of experience compared to the traditional powers (Georgia, Alabama, Ohio St., & Clemson) which gave us a window of opportunity.  Michigan and Washington were two exceptions who could match us with quarterback experience (McCarthy more for playoff experience) and Washington was just a bit better than us on two occasions.

It's easy to compare ourselves to the very best team(s) in college football each year amongst a sea of 130+ teams full of phenomenal athletes and coaches.  This can be a frustrating exercise, but definitely something we all strive for our Ducks to become.  However, looking back, we have a lot to be thankful for.

Here are the blessings I counted:

• Won 12 games for only 6th time in program history.
  • Dominated a NY6 Bowl Game 45-6.
  • Enjoyed national championship aspirations through the Pac-12 title game.
  • 1st Heisman Trophy Finalist since Marcus Mariota in 2014.
  • Scoring defense improved from 77th to 11th (17.3 ppg in 2023 vs 27.4 ppg in 2022).
  • Total defense improved from 75th to 22nd (320.3 ypg in 2023 vs 386.1 ypg in 2022).
  • Scoring offense improved from 10th to 2nd (44.2 ppg in 2023 vs 38.8 ppg in 2022).
  • Total offense improved from 6th to 2nd (531.4 ypg in 2023 vs 500.5 ypg in 2022).
  • 1st in all of FBS in total passing yards per game (346.9 ypg).
  • Still in a power conference (B1G vs. Pac-2/MWC).
  • 2024 schedule is packed with intriguing matchups against (Michigan, Ohio St., Michigan St., Wisconsin, Washington, & UCLA)
  • Top 5 Recruiting Class
  • Landed key portal additions for next season (including a Heisman trophy front runner).
  • Most starters opting to return where possible (especially on defense)
  • Coaching staff remains intact for the first time since _______(?).

If I would have seen the above back in July without knowing the results of the Pac-12 title game or the national championship, I would have been ecstatic about the upcoming season.

What other blessings did I miss from 2023 or current state of the program?

• Great post! 2
  • Applause 2

On 1/10/2024 at 12:09 PM, mikethehiker said:
  • Total defense improved from 75th to 22nd (320.3 ypg in 2023 vs 386.1 ypg in 2022).
  • Scoring offense improved from 10th to 2nd (44.2 ppg in 2023 vs 38.8 ppg in 2022).
  • Total offense improved from 6th to 2nd (531.4 ypg in 2023 vs 500.5 ypg in 2022).
  • 1st in all of FBS in total passing yards per game (346.9 ypg).
  • Coaching staff remains intact for the first time since _______(?)

The above 5 really stood out to me. Imagine improving upon the first 4 in 2024! 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Krsmqn,

If the coach, coaching staff, and the support staff can take all the support the team and program have, and build a cohesive, coherent team, a real brotherhood (similar to but even better than this past year), hold Spring ball to teach and reinforce the standard and fundamentals, while educating all the players on what a Natl Championship team and team members must do to prepare for a title run in the B1G and DIV 1 National Championship (ie. who is willing to put in the work), then, the team may be on their way.

It all starts in January when all learn/re-learn what the standard is, and it is reinforced in the early Spring (consistently apply the standard), and the standard is reinforced and refined going into AUG. All this is done while the staff and coaches are recruiting the next years' players to reinforce and/or to fill any potential gaps. I can't think of any position group that won't have significant teaching and competition for positions, and everything should be open and up for competition.

I still believe the Ducks O-Line was the best O-Line, but they did not demonstrate it in the Conference championship game; and, that's where steel is proofed. Our D-Line must "teach" and "stretch" our O-line, and vice versa.

Coach, please consider 4-5 bird droppings (the long ball) every game. We have the speed and capability to compete-in-the-air for that ball, and we have the human capital/capability at CB and SAF to give the Receivers a legitimate and consistent training sample against which to learn and compete; same with the TEs and LBs/STAR. Nonetheless, I enjoy watching our RBs and skill players getting the ball at the 1st down marker and then putting on a evasion clinic IOT break free from the defense (if one can ever really do that) while keeping the ball secured.

Best regards, and I remain VR, KCDuck1

Edited by KCDuck1
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

And to add to this.  Counting our First Duck Blessing of 2024. 

Dan Lanning proving his commitment to Oregon Football as it's long term Head Coach. He ain't going NOWHERE!  One of many more to come in 2024, I'm sure.  Go Ducks!

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mikethehiker,

Well done, Mike! The only thing you might have missed on the blessings is this year the coaching staff seemed to play a lot more of the freshmen, and most definitely on the D-Line (the whole season) and in the defensive backfield during the last part of the Fiesta Bowl game. I recognized Poncho playing on the O-Line (6th man as Freshman), and not as many of the Receivers until the last part of the Bowl game.

I enjoyed the freshmen playing in the D-Backfield in particular. One player caused a receiver to lose control of the ball based on how he tackled him, and another of our D-Backs recovered the fumble. Great tackling and teamwork! That fumble gave our 2d team QB another opportunity to work on his progressions and pass the ball (his passes were much better the 2d time). Would really like to see Special Teams returners take some punts and KOs back for a TD or a near TD.

One more item: we have had as a group some of the best coaches and Asst coaches I can recall having since '70 & '71, based on their development of the standard and basics like catching the ball with their hands and sure and gang tackling (wrapping up to secure the hips and legs instead of wasting time striking the shoulders but not wrapping up, and blocking by the O-Line and TEs)

Great list you compiled! Thank you. We were really blessed this year!

VR,

KCDuck1

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

+ Won the last real Civil War

• Applause 1

On 1/11/2024 at 8:37 PM, KCDuck1 said:

Mikethehiker,

Well done, Mike! The only thing you might have missed on the blessings is this year the coaching staff seemed to play a lot more of the freshmen, and most definitely on the D-Line (the whole season) and in the defensive backfield during the last part of the Fiesta Bowl game. I recognized Poncho playing on the O-Line (6th man as Freshman), and not as many of the Receivers until the last part of the Bowl game.

I enjoyed the freshmen playing in the D-Backfield in particular. One player caused a receiver to lose control of the ball based on how he tackled him, and another of our D-Backs recovered the fumble. Great tackling and teamwork! That fumble gave our 2d team QB another opportunity to work on his progressions and pass the ball (his passes were much better the 2d time). Would really like to see Special Teams returners take some punts and KOs back for a TD or a near TD.

One more item: we have had as a group some of the best coaches and Asst coaches I can recall having since '70 & '71, based on their development of the standard and basics like catching the ball with their hands and sure and gang tackling (wrapping up to secure the hips and legs instead of wasting time striking the shoulders but not wrapping up, and blocking by the O-Line and TEs)

Great list you compiled! Thank you. We were really blessed this year!

VR,

KCDuck1

All great insights KCDuck1!  Thank you for sharing those observations.

On 1/11/2024 at 2:21 PM, MicroBurst61 said:

And to add to this.  Counting our First Duck Blessing of 2024. 

Dan Lanning proving his commitment to Oregon Football as it's long term Head Coach. He ain't going NOWHERE!  One of many more to come in 2024, I'm sure.  Go Ducks!

No sooner did I post this thread and Saban retired and the rumor mills started!

My gut told me Lanning was different than our last two coaches.  DL said it perfectly this morning at the team meeting, "A lot of starters, but the world doesn't have a lot of finishers."  The first of many more blessings in 2024 - great call!

• Go Ducks! 1