NJDuck

Changes Abound: What to Expect from College Football in 2024

The minute after Michigan was presented the national championship trophy in Houston, the college football season -- and its accompanying predictions -- flipped to 2024.

If ever there was a Y2K year in college football, this was it -- but the lights didn't go out in NRG Stadium and the sport began its journey into unprecedented change that includes sweeping conference realignment and a 12-team playoff that will again alter how the champion is crowned.

Ready or not, here it comes.

"The change is real," SEC commissioner Greg Sankey said. "You can either run from it and hide, or you can embrace it."

WWW.ESPN.COM

College football will experience a lot of change in 2024. We're here to walk you through all of it.

Early projections say Oregon hosts CFP game at Autzen in 2024

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Oregon is predicted to host a first round playoff game before going down in the quarterfinals in New Orleans next year.

I like the game host prediction instead of having to travel for a 1st round game on 12/21/24 or so, but how about winning the conference and securing a bye? 

Having to play one less game to get to Atlanta for the champ game will, I think be a big deal. I think it's odds on that one of the B1G or SEC champs that get the 1st round bye will be in the champ pole position. I think but I am not certain, that come the second round the top-seeded and perhaps 2 top-seeded teams with a bye will get their choice of the bowl site. 

I have yet to see an article that details how the bowl selection process under the new PO will work. The Rose Bowl is a 2nd round PO site, after teams 5-8 host a 1st round game. After the 2nd round, all bowl sites in 2024/25 will be in Dixie with Atlanta hosting the Peach Bowl and champ game. UGA anyone?

Thanks for the post. Where the Ducks will end up as shown on Ducks Wire, 247 Sports, will be but one of thousands (probably tens of thousands) of posts forecasting the Delighted Dozen PO field.

USF? Lot's of competition for the G5 spot including Boise, the 2nd game on the Ducks 2024 schedule, Memphis, which defeated Iowa State in its bowl game, Liberty, QB Salter removed his name from the portal and will be back at Liberty, Air Force Academy, other AAC and Mountain West contenders. APP State, Troy, and JMU from the Sunbelt should also be in the mix. 

Why the Sugar Bowl to play FSU? FSU (I look for Clemson to be here and not FSU) and the ACC were never contracted with the Sugar Bowl during the BCS/ 4-team PO era. If UGA finishes 1 it will opt, if given the choice for the Peach Bowl in Atlanta. If Ohio State in this example has the 2nd seed, I think tOSU opts to play in the Rose Bowl. If it does finish with the No. 3 seed and is given the choice, FSU would choose the Sugar Bowl over the Fiesta Bowl. 

The semi-final sites are the Cotton and Orange Bowls. Champ game will be played in Atlanta in Mercedes Benz Stadium.

Edited by Jon Joseph

Miami, Ohio State, Ole Miss among 10 college football teams we're most excited to watch in 2024

These college football teams are generating a lot of early buzz.

247SPORTS.COM

These college football teams are generating a lot of early buzz.

Updated Top-25 Rankings: Ducks rise, Washington plummets after coaching carousel madness

Well over a month ago, I released my prediction for what the top-25 rankings in the college football world would look like this offseason, giving a view of the power balance in the nation based on which teams saw the highest number of starters returning, and the biggest boosts via the transfer portal.

We’ve seen highly impactful transfers make their commitments, and legendary coaches depart their schools, causing other coaches to pick up and leave in a haste, laying waste to some of the most talented rosters across the nation in an apocalyptic domino effect.

While I was definitely early on my top 25 predictions, even the ‘Way-too-early Top 25’ that ESPN puts out every year after the national championship game feels incredibly out of date at this point.

It feels like everything needs to be updated with the knowledge that we now have. It should be worth noting that the Washington Huskies, who were ranked No. 16 in my first top-25, have completely dropped out of the rankings now that their coach has left them, and much of the roster had chosen to depart Seattle as well.

Here are my updated top-25 rankings for the 2024 season as we enter the end of January and continue to traverse the transfer portal madness and coaching changes...

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

An updated look at the top-25 rankings for 2024, where the Oregon Ducks have risen while the Washington Huskies have plummeted.