Charles Fischer

Oregon Put Up the MOST Points of Any Team....Yet Was No. 2 in Scoring?

I was talking to NJDuck recently, and was recalling how one of the media sources reported how Oregon "scored the most points of any FBS team in the US."  So, then how are we No. 2 officially in scoring?

I looked it up, and the answer is because LSU did not play in a conference championship game, and their average per game was based on 13 games (45.5) versus Oregon's average was over 14 games. (44.2)  What is interesting is looking at the NCAA list with some surprises and omissions from the top in scoring.  

For example...look who is No. 3!  Imagine if they'd had a defense?

Where is Alabama...and where is Ohio State?  Georgia's placing was a surprise to me as well.  Bottom line?  We should be very proud of the offense in 2023, and I suspect we have more fireworks to come as Stein continues to grow into his position.

WWW.NCAA.COM

Discover the current NCAA FBS Football leaders in every stats category, as well as historic leaders.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Another reason why Championships Games are a liability rather than a true reward.

And Brian Kelly kept his QB in meaningless games to boost his Heisman stock so the LSU numbers are certainly skewed IMO.  But water under the bridge now.

The highest ranked playoff team was Washington at 13, averaging 8 points less per game than us.

NIce to see we have #4's QB.

Georgia at 5 with their QB returning.