NJDuck

Oregon and Washington State Set to Duke it Out for 2nd Place in the Pac-12

Oregon will host Washington State for a massive game for postseason implications.

Saturday afternoon inside Matthew Knight Arena will feature two men's college basketball programs trying to fight and claw their way into the NCAA Tournament while fighting to stay in position to win the Pac-12 regular season championship.  In short, It'll be marquee basketball out west.

2pm PT/5pm ET on the Pac-12 Network.

247SPORTS.COM

Oregon will host Washington State for a massive game for postseason implications.

Definitely need to send them packing, regardless of tourney.

Moments like this are when I realize getting out of the PAC is the right move. In any legitimate basketball conference this would be a huge game not relegated to the pac12 network. Instead there will an embarrassingly small tv audience as two top teams in a power conference fight to stay on the bubble.

But hey, I kind of enjoy half the ad space being committed to conference promotions. 

Edited by JabbaNoBargain

Love(d) Dana, but time for a change. Loved EK until it was time, it happens.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Applause 1

Ducks lay an egg…..actually, many, many bricks…..today.  It’s a shame.  Even their “C” game on shooting would’ve got ‘em a victory today. Very disappointing.  They seem to have lost their ability to shoot.  Maybe it was the WSU defense…..but……more so: just seemed to be nerves.

• Thumbs Up 1

56 at home against anyone is not getting it done. We’ve reverted to the old school big man game just like the last two seasons, it doesn’t work. 3 seasons of not cracking the top 68 isn’t good enough

Poor effort, bad shooting, weak game. Sad performance all around.

• Yikes! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 2/10/2024 at 4:40 PM, JabbaNoBargain said:

56 at home against anyone is not getting it done. We’ve reverted to the old school big man game just like the last two seasons, it doesn’t work

I thought this might happen.  DA's success was more of a small ball game, guards and wings.  Dante's numbers are good but not really anyone else.  Not sure how bigs make smalls shoot poorly.  FT shooting was poor again this week.  Not sure the game hasn't passed DA by

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I actually watched some B1G hoops today (funny what the lack of football will do) and it looked like a different sport then we’re playing. Bigs that can hit 3s, wings taller than 6’7, much better shooting from 3. Just generally seemed like a lot more toughness on the floor.

Watched the Purdue game tonight vs Indiana. They are a very well disciplined defensive squad, with that big guy Edey plugging the middle. Their guards aren't the most athletic, but they can shoot, and are good in sets.

Edey is a good passer, and while he isn't fast. He reminds you of Jokic in the way he reads defenses, and is strong on rebounds and down low. Hard to strip the ball from him.

Wisconsin, Michigan State, and Northwestern all operate similarly. Meanwhile Michigan and Ohio State have better athletes, but struggle to play a good forty minutes. Maryland is the same story.

Oregon will need to be stronger down low next year. Or we will be pushed around .

The lazy ball handling (read turnovers) drives me nuts.  Surely Dana must school the guys better.  I ... think.  This team excels at times and looks foolish at others.  🤔

• Thumbs Up 1

Can slice it any number of ways…injuries, recruiting busts, etc.

For me the bottom line is failing to make the tourney 3 straight years when the conference hasn’t been very good. 68 teams make the tournament. Cracking the top 68 every year should be a minimum expectation, and that hasn’t been met. Imagine if the football team didn’t make a bowl game 3 straight years. Making a bowl game is a bit easier, but finishing in the top 68 in hoops should be a pretty minimal standard at a place like the UO.

I think it’s a combination of poor talent evaluation (star chasing), roster construction, and not adapting offensively. We’re not very tough, and when you have 3 straight seasons of massive injuries, I start to wonder if it’s more of a trend than bad luck.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Like 1