Jon Joseph

Playoff 5-7 Model is Approved

The Pac-2 got the message.

THEATHLETIC.COM

The first 12-team CFP will include the top five conference champions and seven at-large bids, instead of the original "6+6" model.

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Thumbs Up 2

Why wouldn't the Pac-2 agree to a 5-7 format? The Pac-2 in 2024 and 2025 cannot qualify as a G5 champion. The only way OSU and WSU can make the 12-team field is as an at-large independent like Notre Dame.

OSU and WSU will continue to receive the Pac-12's PO payout for the next 2 seasons. Then?

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

The changes comes amid the dissolution of the Pac-12, leaving just four power conferences in the mix

https://collegefootballnews.com/news/college-football-playoff-to-use-5x7-model-great-now-dont-screw-it-up

'Don't screw it up' is spot on.

Also, come 2026 it appears that former bowl tie-in agreements will end. If this was the case in 2024/25, No. 1 seed Georgia could opt to play in the Peach Bowl and not have to play in the Sugar Bowl. 

It's a Playoff. Go to 16 teams in 2026, with one spot reserved for the G5, otherwise as ranked and seeded by the PO Committee. Games at higher seeded teams before the semi-finals are played in the Rose and Sugar Bowls. Revenue share with the players. 

Champ game location moves between Las Vegas/ Glendale, Indianapolis/ Detroit, Dallas/Houston, and Atlanta/New Orleans. All champ games are played indoors. 

Does this come as a surprise to anyone? 2026 means a new method of splitting up the cash. This will not be easy but it will more than less, go the way the P2 wants it to go.

SATURDAYROAD.COM

College Football Playoff formatting will be a key discussion for future seasons after a new model was confirmed on Tuesday.

Hurt Pac-12 holdouts? So sad, too bad. Yuck, yuck. 

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

There are some clear beneficiaries from the playoff's latest shift towards the 5+7 model

Puddles says, 'You already gave me Liberty and I gave Liberty death. Do I have to do this again? Oh, well, at least I can do it without leaving the nest.'

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

The CFP voted to modify the model as the 12-team era begins in the 2024 college football season

Edited by Jon Joseph

All this pac2 nonsense about access is hilarious.

Neither have ever been remotely close to making the playoff to date, their real concern is continued access to unearned money. Those future earnings are about to dry up unless they actually succeed on the field in a sustained fashion.

Pound sand pac2.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1