Jon Joseph

College Football - A 14-Team Playoff?

As reported by Yardbarker and other sources, a 14-team playoff beginning in 2026 and through the 2031 seasons has been proposed by the B1G. The B1G's Tony Petitti would not have suggested this format without running it by SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey. Of course, the CFB freaks are freaking out!

"This will ruin the regular season!" A 14-team playoff would equal the number of teams that play in the NFL playoff; a league with 32 teams (the B1G/SEC now have 34 teams). In theory, college football has 134 teams contesting for a spot in the playoff. The last time I looked, NFL stadiums were not empty during the regular season. Unlike 'The U,' the Dolphins sell out the stadium for home games. Boston College games feature many empty seats disguised as fans, even with the Patriots sucking wind post-Brady, Pats games sell out.

I think that a 14-team PO format would follow the NFL model. 14 works in the NFL where the top No.1 seeded NFL team and the No.1 seeded AFL team have a 1st round bye. 3 'Wild Card Games' are played intra-conference between teams seeded No. 2 through No. 6. Would this be the format in CFB? And if not, how would a 14-team bracket work? (HELP ME Math Jocks!) If the NFL model was followed, in 2023, Michigan and Washington would have received 1st-round byes.

Petitti's proposed format would have 2 B1G teams and 2 SEC teams automatically qualifying. Presumably, the 2 teams that played in the respective conference champ games. Remeber that come 2026, only a majority vote and not a unanimous vote has to be cast to approve the 2026 and going forward playoff format. The 'voters' have been reduced from 9 conferences and Notre Dame to 10 conferences and Notre Dame. In reality, the B1G/SEC are the only 2 conferences that could hold a playoff including only B1G and SEC teams and make bank anywhere close to the $1.3 B expected from 2026 to 2031. 2031 is not coincidental, it is the year that the current B1G media deal will expire.

WWW.YARDBARKER.COM

The more the CFP committee tinkers with its format, the more it's taking away from the excitement of every weekend being its own playoff.

The new playoff format will follow the B1G/SEC money.

Does anybody in the two deep play in the SEC and B1G championship games in this new envisioned format where the conference championship teams get an autobid?

I don't think they do. Heck, the coaches themselves won't let them on the field. Need them fresh for the playoffs. Worthless game=worthless effort. 

I don't think Petit thought this one through, or maybe he is just trying to keep his media overlords happy. "See I tried!" Or may e this is the whole point. Contractual requirements to play the conference championships are met, but the games impact is neutralized. Still not good for any sport to play exhibition games during the season and act like they matter.

Solar, to answer your question, the B1G and SEC will play without divisions beginning in 2024. The two teams in the conference champ games will be the 2 top-ranked teams in the conference. I expect that the top 2 B1G and 2 SEC teams vying for a conference title season after season will be ranked by the Committee in the top 10. 

In 2023 using the final committee rankings, Michigan finished No.1, UW No. 2, Texas No. 3, and Alabama No. 4. All 4 would have been in the PO as would conference champ game losers Georgia and Oregon. I think Tony Petitti thought the suggested format through before presenting it and ran it by 'consortium friend' Greg Sankey before bringing it to the CFB playoff committee. 

I think it makes sense. Especially, when you look at the teams that competed in the 4-team playoff. IMO, 10 automatic bids for conference champs is a non-starter. Drop the G5 from the PO altogether and how much money would be lost if a P4, or even a B1G/SEC 'world series,' was played postseason?

The tail is no longer going to wag the PO dog. Petitti and Sankey do not want folks on the PO Committee outside of the P2, derailing B1G and SEC participants as a matter of 'equity.' The teams that invest the most capital into football deserve the best ROI.

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Thumbs Up 1

On the other hand -

THEATHLETIC.COM

CFP executives discussed expanding to a 14- or 16-team format for 2026 and beyond in meetings Wednesday.

Will 14-team College Football Playoff happen? The questions from the 12-team format need answers first

WWW.SPORTINGNEWS.COM

The fact the 14-team idea is being floated out there publicly confirms that the long-awaited 12-team playoff may only last two years.

• Thumbs Up 1

Fans react to the possibility of yet another CFP expansion

AUTZENZOO.COM

Check out some of the best reactions from college football fans across the country.

On 2/22/2024 at 2:05 PM, Jon Joseph said:

I think at this point, when you look at all the programs to not have won a national title, Oregon is probably the most prominent at this point, it's now been about 30 years that they've been a good to great program, having said that, I actually agree with the writer of that article.

A&M is probably the most underachieving program in the country for the last 40 or so years, it's been barely a blimp on the radar of not only being a national player but simply fighting for a conference title, this despite having 100,000+ stadium, huge donors, a recruiting bed that is as good as it gets, yet cannot get any traction on being a consistent 8-9 win team. 

You would have thought they would have at least stumbled into a good coach at some point since Slocum was there, they haven't even had a coach who was good enough to get snatched up by someone else, it's just been disappointing hire after disappointing hire, pretty amazing.

• Thumbs Up 1

Only three minor issues to be resolved, right? Access, Distribution, and Governance. What could go wrong?

WWW.ESPN.COM

CFP executive director Bill Hancock said the idea of a 14-team College Football Playoff starting in 2026 was discussed at Wednesday's meeting in Dallas but added, "There's work still to...