Jon Joseph

College Football -Sending Out A Playoff SOS

People are climbing on board the Playoff Committee to better value a team's Strength of Schedule come 2024. With mega-conferences and the degree of schedule difficulty varying significantly intra-conference, the CFB Committee needs to sort through schedule strength as doe the Basketball Committee. 

The Basketball Committee uses uniform SOS metrics. The CFB Committee instead of leaving the determination of SOS in the mind of Committee members, needs to do likewise. CFB needs a measure of objectivity from a Committee that is moving around multi-millions of dollars every season without any public scrutiny of the process except vague, 'this is how the Committee works' pap. 

If the CFB Committee only values wins and losses, better teams with lesser records will likely be left out of the Playoff field. One reason the B1G's Tony Petitti and Greg Sankey, want alloted slots for several B1G and SEC teams. 

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

Simply evaluating teams based off top-25 wins will no longer be enough as the field balloons in 2024

• Thumbs Up 1

When it comes down to playoff teams I say follow the TV ratings and the $$$$.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/24/2024 at 1:04 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

The Pac-2 strongly disagree! Love the take. 

On 2/24/2024 at 11:04 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

Don't worry they always have and always will chase the $$$$. Part of that drama is having a few underground in the mix, who doesn't like an underground. This is the very reason I watch March Madness.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 2/24/2024 at 11:51 AM, Dave23 said:

Don't worry they always have and always will chase the $$$$. Part of that drama is having a few underground in the mix, who doesn't like an underground. This is the very reason I watch March Madness.

you mean like when Tulane beat USC?  LOL

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 2/24/2024 at 2:51 PM, Dave23 said:

The CFB Playoff will never reserve 5 spots for 5 G5 champs. Unlike the CBB where 7 to 8 guys can be assembled to play quality basketball, you cannot do the same in CFB. There would on occasion be an upset pulled off by the G5 but for the most part the G5 would go 0-5 and the media would not pay big money for these games. 

So a team like ND could go undefeated and not get one of the G5 spots?

Notre Dame could get the 5th seed but that's the highest seed in 2024 and 2025 the Irish could hope for. Seeing as how ND does not play a 13th conference champ game this is fine with me.

Why a single team has conference status and the same voting power, as of now, is beyond me.