NJDuck

Kirby Smart Coaching Tree: How ex-Georgia Assistants have Fared after Leaving for Head Coaching Opportunities

In eight years, Smart has already grown an impressive coaching tree that keeps sprouting branches

Dan Lanning, Oregon

Inarguably the most successful Smart acolyte thus far, Lanning's ascendant coaching career is something to behold. Nine years ago, he was a graduate assistant at Alabama. Then he spent two seasons as the inside linebackers coach and recruiting coordinator at Memphis before Smart hired Lanning, at 32 years old, to coach outside linebackers in 2018.

Lanning was named defensive coordinator at Georgia in 2019, and in 2022 he was hired at Oregon, becoming the youngest power conference coach at the age of 35. Since then, he's won 22 games with the Ducks and already has a Fiesta Bowl win under his belt. Oregon is a safe bet to compete for a spot in the 12-team playoff for years to come as Lanning steadily grows. 

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

In eight years, Smart has already grown an impressive coaching tree that keeps sprouting branches

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

As a dyed in the wool Dawg fan, I have very mixed feelings about losing Dell McGee. On the one hand, he was such a valuable member of Kirby's staff who was largely unknown to all of us but the closest followers of the team. On the other hand, there maybe is nobody on the staff that I am happier for in getting his shot. He is a Georgia guy all the way having had a long career coaching at the high school level in Georgia. He knows the state exceptionally well and I suspect he will put a most credible team on the field at Georgia State--a decent smaller program by the way. I'll be rooting hard for him.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

What is also amazing is how the Lanning branch became a tree and sent off a branch after one year.

Not only has Lanning proven to be an elite recruiter, and coach, but he also knows how to pick assistants. The Lanning tree may become one of the more impressive elements of his coaching history at Oregon.

To become a first time head coach and create a group of assistants as he did was astounding when you really contemplate it. Not only did he have to pick assistants, but he also had to convince them to come to an unproven system. He then excelled and had an assistant hired as a D-1 coach.

There are so many elements needed to become a successful head coach and Lanning is checking all the boxes. I would say picking, getting assistants is an under appreciated attribute, but Lanning excels here.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2