Jon Joseph

The NCAA - The Hits Just Keep On Coming

A federal court judge in Tennessee has neutered the NCAA's regulation of NIL. The Supreme Court in the Alston decision warned the NCAA that its 'student-athlete' business model is not viable. But these decisions are not the biggest financial threat that the NCAA, and its member institutions including OBD, are facing today. 

Any of the cases mentioned in Dennis Dodd's article go against the NCAA and it looks like BK for the NCAA. Will a 'charitable organization' be allowed to restructure; or, would the NCAA have to liquidate? I practiced BK law and I am not certain as to how the NCAA would be viewed by a bankruptcy court. But I am certain that if the NCAA files BK many of its members, especially the Power 2, will leave the NCAA behind and govern itself. 

The evolution (devolution for some) of college sports continues at a breakneck pace. It's so nice to have Puddles in a B1G nest; wherever the college sports migration is headed Puddles will not be left behind.

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

The NCAA is facing legal battles on multiple fronts, and all come with financial risks that could doom the association and some of its member institutions