Charles Fischer

The Five Portal Transfer Strategies: Oregon is Mislabeled...

The Athletic has created an article about the different strategies used by CFB teams in recruiting from the portal.  They are...

The Portal Enthusiasts

The Desperate Portalers

The Need-Based Portalers

The Portal Denier

The NIL Barons

Here is when Oregon is mentioned...

----------------------------------------------------

The NIL Barons
If these guys have offered, (the player you want) you’re out of luck. The programs that do the best job in portal recruiting aren’t always the ones operating with the most NIL money, and players don’t always pick the highest bidder. But those that spend the most tend to get who they want.

“If you have good player relationships and if you have a collective that’s run really well,” Ole Miss coach Lane Kiffin said, “you then stand a chance in this portal world.” In December and January, the schools consistently battling and setting the market for elite transfers were Oregon, Texas, Ole Miss and Ohio State

----------------------------------------------------

I will not explain all the strategies, because I think you can guess how they operate based upon the title of each. I believe the Ducks are mislabeled, because our numbers of recruiting the portal are not even in the top half of what other schools do.  And we are told often by insiders that Oregon does not bid the highest on NIL, but sells the total package of what the Oregon experience can provide the player.

I believe Oregon is a Need-Based strategist, that happens to have a good collective in Division Street backing it.  The amount of portal transfers coming to Oregon will gradually decline as Dan's top-ten classes that are freshmen and sophomores mature as players, and within our systems.  In fact I would bet that Danno wants to eventually be like Alabama and Georgia in taking only a few that fill immediate needs, or are exceptional offerings.

This Was a Good Transfer...

Bo Nix throwing_Mike Snow.jpg

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 2

Mr. FishDuck

It’s all semantics really.

Personally, when I hear “need based”, it sounds reactionary. I think as it stands now, getting 30-40% of your roster from the portal is the smart way to go. Let others polish those 2 and 3 stars and then steal them to add to your core of 4 and 5 stars.

Aside from evolving to get a few more 5 star dudes out of HS, I think we’re on the forefront of how to work it and should have a kingpin title.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Thumbs Up 1

Charles, I agree with your analysis. Oregon successfully cherry-picks from the Portal to fill positions of need. As Ohio State, Georgia, and other top recruiting programs did in 2023-24. Oregon is not portal-reliant to the extent of an Ole Miss.

As I recall, Oregon wiped the floor with portal-oriented CU last season.

But the Ducks do appear early in the article. Not so long ago, Oregon may not have been mentioned.

It's a balancing act and recruiting of new and already recruited players never stops amidst unregulated tampering. 

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Thumbs Up 2

Beware the Portal?

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

These scenarios could make the spring transfer window one of the most chaotic yet

• Wow 1

It’s gonna be bonkers!

• Yikes! 1

Something I forgot to mention is how the "elite" schools will lose TONS to the portal every year of players who do not see them moving up the depth chart, or have already been passed by underclassmen.  As you know, Dan wants to continuously recruit the best he can at each position. When you have four-deep at every position, then whoever is not playing or does have low prospects of playing are leaving.

Ohio State, Alabama, Georgia--all will have highly ranked HS players who leave because they got beat out by other highly ranked players.  It does not bother me anymore, and it is the natural way.  (The opposite of what is happening to the Pig-2 teams)

And another area I did not point out is how Danno has had very few misses with the portal; their analysis has been superb.

Evan Williams was truly a BIG-HIT for Oregon...

Evan Williams sacks_Eric Evans of Oregon Football X Account.jpg

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Remember the massive risk to taking a portal player?

If the player did not work out--you were stuck with him, and burned a scholarship.  Now the rules have changed, and they can leave immediately in the next portal opening period!  Boy this could alter portal recruiting strategy...

Coaches can take a flyer on a player with only the one-year scholarship at risk!  A coach could burn through a TON of players this way to find the good ones sooner?

giphy.gif

• Haha 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck