Charles Fischer

Oregon DB Daylen Austin Arrested for Hit-and-Run

Too early to draw conclusions, but one subscription site is cautious, while the other is already looking to replace him in the portal.  Many are saying it was simply a mistake, and I can relate. 

When I was very young...during a rainstorm in downtown Eugene I was turning and someone walked in front of me (I could not see them due to the downpour) and he shook his fist at me and walked on after I bumped him with my bumper.

He was going to press charges, and the police just fried me in our meeting.  (Interrogation) They decided after listening to my story that they/the victim would not go further with this.  I was young and did not know that when something like this happens--you pull over and meet with the affected party.  If you don't...it is hit-and-run.  Anyone who knows me knows I would never do that, but I was young, did not know the law, etc.

This might be case?

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

As a corner--he had superb athletic skills, and I thought had a high upside at Oregon.  He was verballed to LSU, but we turned him in the recruiting process of which I thought was a big win.

We find out the facts later!

Mr. FishDuck

Apparently, one fact that is quite different from my case is...the victim in this instance has died.  Sad all the way around...

Mr. FishDuck

Well that would explain the arrest.  But no details on the circumstances, I'm going to wait for those to come out before forming an opinion.

user generated

Mr. FishDuck

Self-defense element, homeless guy with hammer killed…so I hear. Underage drinking doesn’t help. Really sucks all the way around.

In a split second a situation changes, and two people are in the wrong spot. In another moment somebody, or two people make poor choices.

Seems tragic all around, and we don't know the whole dynamic, but I'll wait to see exactly what happened. Definitely a turn nobody wanted to take.

When I think back, I could have been in a similar situation too many times, but was lucky!

• Thanks 1

On 4/17/2024 at 2:07 PM, JabbaNoBargain said:

Self-defense element, homeless guy with hammer killed…so I hear. Underage drinking doesn’t help. Really sucks all the way around.

Not sure it involved alcohol.   I have heard that story is making the rounds but was also told this is a 'very nuanced' situation.  Not sure what that means in the big scheme of things.   Certainly time will tell.

On 4/17/2024 at 7:48 PM, Augduck said:

Not sure it involved alcohol.   I have heard that story is making the rounds but was also told this is a 'very nuanced' situation.  Not sure what that means in the big scheme of things.   Certainly time will tell.

I heard this afternoon the deceased was a homeless man that confronted the player with a weapon (hammer), the kid hit him with his car, possibly in self defense, fled home and called his coach, and that alcohol was involved. Still a lot to unpack.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain

On 4/17/2024 at 10:14 PM, JabbaNoBargain said:

I heard this afternoon the deceased was a homeless man that confronted the player with a weapon (hammer), the kid hit him with his car, possibly in self defense, fled home and called his coach, and that alcohol was involved. Still a lot to unpack.

Yes, heard the same with reference to the deceased.  Also heard the part about Austen being confronted with the hammer.  

Have heard mixed stories on the alcohol.  As you said lots more info to come out most likely.

• Thumbs Up 1

According to the Register-Guard: "Austin was arraigned at the jail on Wednesday and was charged with failure to perform duties of a driver to seriously injured persons."

I have absolutely NO inside information, but the fact that it does not appear that Austin was charged with DUI, MIP or Manslaughter leads me to believe that the Eugene police believe his only crime was not remaining at the scene.

His next court appearance is May 22, but I expect that we'll get more details from the UO/his attorney/the press in the next few days.  It wouldn't surprise me if a statement is made late tomorrow, to limit the distribution of the story by national media to over the weekend and not during the busier weekday news cycle.

It makes me ill that a national news agency was reporting this on their front page.  All the political stuff, and then..."Oregon Player Arrested for Hit-and-Run."  Lovely, not the way I want national press...

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 4/18/2024 at 5:35 PM, Charles Fischer said:

It makes me ill that a national news agency was reporting this on their front page.  All the political stuff, and then..."Oregon Player Arrested for Hit-and-Run."  Lovely, not the way I want national press...

I agree.  Was reported on USA Today.

WWW.USATODAY.COM

Police said the fatal crash took place just outside of downtown Eugene, Oregon. Daylen Austin is charged with failing to perform duties of a driver in a crash.

Isn't a hit and run a measure 11 in Oregon?