Jon Joseph

2024 College Football Strength-of-Schedule Rankings

https://collegefootballnews.com/rankings/college-football-schedule-rankings-easiest-to-hardest-1-to-134-2024

College Football News has ranked the 134 Group of 5 (G5) and Power 4 (ACC, B1G, B12, SEC, Notre Dame) Strenght of Schedules (SOS.) The run for the 12-team Playoff spots is far from a fair fight. Yes, there are variances in the difficulty of NFL schedules, but nothing like what we see in college football. The rankings include out-of-conference (OOC) and conference games. USC is No. 1 ranked due more to its OOC schedule, LSU, Utah State, and Notre Dame, than the in-conference schedule. USC misses both Ohio State and Oregon. 

B1G Title Contenders and Others in the Top 25 -

OREGON is just outside the Top 10, coming in at 11. 

1. USC; 5. Michigan; 14. Penn State; 18. Wisconsin; 22. Iowa; 33 Washington; 57 Ohio State

3. UCLA; 4. Purdue; 12. Minnesota; 19. Northwestern; T 24 Michigan State. 

12 B1G teams in the Top 25 and Ohio State at 57!  Ohio State has a B1G SOS leg up in the race for the B1G title.

The B1G will battle the SEC for the eleven at-large 2024 Playoff spots. The 12th seed will most likely go to the G5 representative, Liberty's SOS is ranked 134th out of 134 teams. Notre Dame's schedule comes in at 43. 

SEC Title Contenders and Others in the Top 25 -

16. Alabama; 17. LSU; 21. Georgia; 29. Oklahoma; 38. Texas; 45. Ole Miss; 61. Tennessee; 66. Missouri.

2. Florida; 10. Vanderbilt; 41. Texas A+M. 

Three SEC teams are in the Top 25. This happens when your conference plays eight and not nine conference games.  

One of the biggest questions of 2024: Will SOS factor into the Playoff Committee's calculus; or, will wins and losses be all that matters?

Edited by Jon Joseph

On 5/2/2024 at 9:41 AM, Jon Joseph said:

One of the biggest questions of 2024: Will SOS factor into the Playoff Committee's calculus; or, will wins and losses be all that matters?

Can leopard change it's spots? FSU doesn't count. The straw that broke the camels back was the QB injury not the poor SoS.

On 5/2/2024 at 3:05 PM, Solar said:

Can leopard change it's spots? FSU doesn't count. The straw that broke the camels back was the QB injury not the poor SoS.

If the spots are not changed we will see a format change in 2026 and B1G commish Tony Petitti, hopefully, complaining about the SEC playing 8 conference games. The SEC will continue with 8 conference games in 2025. The SEC is waiting to see what the Committee will do SOS-wise.

• Thumbs Up 1

SOS should matter. But will it matter? SEC already counting its 9-3 chickens?

BAMAHAMMER.COM

May is a great month for college football hypotheticals. The next season is too many days away to count. Beyond roster changes, there will not be much solid col

On 5/4/2024 at 2:18 PM, Jon Joseph said:

A roasting yes, now, in May.

Come November, they won't say a word.

It's been like this since the first BCS, or even before. If the Pac had only played 8 conf games, the rankings would have not been so skewed to the SEC.

This is major reason I don't necessarily want a " National Champion" in football. We don't all play the same teams and so much depends on subjective rationale and the ol' "eye test".

Well, if they can agree finally on a more level playing field, great!

Being in the B1G is now of supreme importance. Hate to see the Pac go, but college sports is headed into a whole new game and I'm glad for Oregon sakes we are now B1G.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 5/4/2024 at 7:00 PM, DanLduck said:

A roasting yes, now, in May.

Come November, they won't say a word.

It's been like this since the first BCS, or even before. If the Pac had only played 8 conf games, the rankings would have not been so skewed to the SEC.

This is major reason I don't necessarily want a " National Champion" in football. We don't all play the same teams and so much depends on subjective rationale and the ol' "eye test".

Well, if they can agree finally on a more level playing field, great!

Being in the B1G is now of supreme importance. Hate to see the Pac go, but college sports is headed into a whole new game and I'm glad for Oregon sakes we are now B1G.

If I could turn back time? I'd go back to the days of the Pac-8 and Big Ten when the Run for the Roses was paramount. When we had four bowl games a team had to be excellent, not mediocre, to play in the postseason. When games were played in the sunshine. (Caveat - I would not like to go back to the days of having one game broadcast on most Saturdays. On occasion, two games were broadcast. And I do like color TV.)

To the best of my knowledge, no one passed away from CFB having more than one 'true champion.'

• Thumbs Up 1