Steven A

Ducks Come in Number Three in This Wayyyyy to Early Top 25

SATURDAYBLITZ.COM

Spring ball is over in college football and some top teams are standing out. What could the Top 25 look like when the 2024 season kicks off?

Thanks, Steven. 

Nine SEC teams ranked in the Top 25, with five in the Top 10. The lowest-ranked SEC team is A+M at 19. This just in, it's only eight conference games but SEC teams play one another. 

Six B1G teams ranked. Iowa has the 22nd most difficult strength-of-schedule (SOS) in 2024 but I believe Iowa will finish in the Top 25 and knock out at least one of the five B12 teams that are ranked. 

Using this Top 25, the following would be the 2024-25 Playoff seeding with a team's SOS (per College Football News) noted next to the team.

1. Georgia - 21

2. Ohio State - 57

3. FSU - 31

4. Utah - 37

5. OREGON - 11

6. Texas - 38

7. Alabama - 16

8. Ole Miss - 45

9. Michigan - 5

10. Notre Dame - 43

11. Missouri - 66

12. G5

Five SEC teams are in the field with SEC teams hosting three of the four 1st-round games. Missouri with its 66th SOS would knock out a 4th B1G team, Penn State with its 14th most difficult SOS. If the two teams had the same record, Penn State should get the nod. Would it? 

What if MIZZOU finishes 10-2 and Penn State finishes 9-3? Should Missouri with one more win against easier competition and playing eight and not nine conference games automatically get the 11th seed with Penn State left out? This would be a multi-million dollar benefit for the SEC due, at least in part, to Missouri's easier schedule. 

FSU with an SOS of 31 and Utah with an SOS of 37 knock out Penn State? And have a first-round bye in the bargain? CUSA conference champion Liberty finishes 13-0 with the 134th-ranked SOS knocks out Penn State? The 12th-seed Flames would be back-to-back cannon fodder for the 5th-seed Ducks, this time playing in Eugene and not in Arizona. 

Let's not ignore the situation in the B1G. Ohio State with the 57th SOS has a huge leg up over B1G title contenders - No. 1 USC, No. 5 Michigan, No. 11 Oregon, No. 14 Penn State, No. 18 Wisconsin, and No. 22 Iowa. Ohio State as SEC fans would no doubt be first in line to point out has an easier SOS than all SEC contenders other than Missouri. 

I know that I harp on the matter of schedule strength. But with today's 16, 17 (plus 5/12th of the Domers,) and 18-team conferences, intra-conference scheduling, and the number of conference games played, will make a difference. A millions of dollars difference. 

There is no professional playoff that allows teams that played fewer games against top competition to compete for a championship. With millions of dollars at stake and players likely to be paid by revenue sharing, the Committee had best recognize SOS. Also, come 2026, the reliance on bowls, except for the semifinal and champ games, should go away in favor of at least two rounds of home games. This is a PLAYOFF. There is no reason to use bowls that for the most part are located in Dixie and benefit southern teams playing in Dixie. 

IMO, preseason rankings should look to December 3, 2024, the date the committee will seed the field. And any ranking that does not consider scheduling, is, IMO, worthless.

Thanks again for the post.

• Great post! 1
  • Like 1

Definitely way too early and doesn’t project out, no way all of those SEC teams have even a 9 win year. I have hard time imagining 8-4 Ole Miss or Missouri getting the nod over 9-3 PSU. I think the being mesmerized by records cuts both ways.

I think at least two of those SEC teams will struggle, but someone like LSU will take their place. Even Texas isn’t a sure thing, major step up in competition, their schedule is insane with losable games @Michigan, OU, Georgia, Florida, @Ark, @TA&M…would not be shocked to see UT go 8-4.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Let’s hope! 1

I am baffled by USC not being in any top 25 lists at the moment. Everyone is overreacting to the loss of Williams, and extreme skepticism of a defense turn around. The only thing that should be keeping them out of the top 10 is the OL.

They should be in the top 15-20 range, but clearly they've been written off.

I've seen us consistently in that 3rd-5th ranked range. Maybe a little high, but then I look at the others and I'm okay with it.

Really there is a top tier of Georgia and Ohio State, then below that nobody really stands out for the next 7-10 spots.

On 5/3/2024 at 3:05 PM, Solar said:

I am baffled by USC not being in any top 25 lists at the moment. Everyone is overreacting to the loss of Williams, and extreme skepticism of a defense turn around. The only thing that should be keeping them out of the top 10 is the OL.

I've seen us consistently in that 3rd-5th ranked range. Maybe a little high, but then I look at the others and I'm okay with it.

Really there is a top tier of Georgia and Ohio State, then below that nobody really stands out for the next 7-10 spots.

USC is ranked No. 20 in this ranking. I agree with you. The USC overall schedule is ranked one of if not the, toughest schedule in the country but this is due to SC playing LSU and Notre Dame OOC. SC misses Oregon and Ohio State and plays Penn State, Nebraska, and Wisconsin in LA.

The Trojans play 5 conference road games, the first one vs Michigan in Ann Arbor, but the other four are against Minnesota, Maryland, UW, and UCLA. 

I believe that USC is a threat to reach the conference champ game with one of Oregon/Ohio State certain of a loss when tOSU visits Oregon on 10/12, the same date SC plays Penn State. In 2025 SC opens at home vs. Ole Miss. SC again misses Ohio State (I can't believe Fox is allowing this) and plays Oregon in Eugene.

On 5/3/2024 at 12:05 PM, Solar said:

I think LR has an established track record of not caring about D at two blue-blood programs now, and is entering a smash mouth league. It’s like they have to play the doppelgänger of Utah 5 times this year, and we’ve seen how that went. Make or break year I think. Could they do it? Maybe. Will they? I have my doubts.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Applause 1