David Marsh

Oregon's Opposing Quarterback Rankings Next Year

This is DucksWire's list of opposing quarterback the Ducks will face next year.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Who is the best QB that Oregon football will face in 2024? Who is the worst? Here are our rankings.

For the most part I tend to agree. I think Ohio State's Will Howard is in an interesting spot, if he does secure the starting job. He will certainly have the best supporting cast of anyone (other than Dillon Gabriel) in the conference.

But my big take away is that this isn't a terribly threatening list. The Pac-12 in the past couple of years had far more talent at quarterback by a long shot. This may prove to be a great opportunity for Oregon's defense to feast!

Thoughts?

On 5/28/2024 at 3:57 PM, David Marsh said:

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Who is the best QB that Oregon football will face in 2024? Who is the worst? Here are our rankings.

For the most part I tend to agree. I think Ohio State's Will Howard is in an interesting spot, if he does secure the starting job. He will certainly have the best supporting cast of anyone (other than Dillon Gabriel) in the conference.

But my big take away is that this isn't a terribly threatening list. The Pac-12 in the past couple of years had far more talent at quarterback by a long shot. This may prove to be a great opportunity for Oregon's defense to feast!

Thoughts?

Nice article, fun one.

I’ve commented many times that 4 of the top 5 contenders in our new conference had new Qb’s, but hadn’t looked beyond that.

Have to say, on the surface that’s not exactly murderers row. A washout from Miami makes the top 2, while what used to be the backup QB at Idaho, outranks the guy he used to back up who apparently isn’t good enough to start at OSU? Ethan Garbers at UCLA is the 5th best we’ll face?

Seems like a lot of guesses at this point, but that has to be the weakest slate of QBs we’ve faced in decades.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain

On 5/28/2024 at 4:23 PM, JabbaNoBargain said:

A washout from Miami makes the top 2

Tyler Van Dyke I think is a better quarterback than he was the past year or two at Miami. As we all know Cristobal handicaps his quarterbacks. 

But Wisconsin isn't loaded with top end wideouts to support him. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/28/2024 at 4:28 PM, David Marsh said:

Tyler Van Dyke I think is a better quarterback than he was the past year or two at Miami. As we all know Cristobal handicaps his quarterbacks. 

But Wisconsin isn't loaded with top end wideouts to support him. 

True, one can never discount the magic of Cristobal. That being said, the dude struggled with good weapons in the ACC and is coming in at #2?

Mama Mia!

In many recent seasons in the past, Big Ten QBs didn't have to be stellar.  They had to be serviceable.

Teams made up for it with very good O-lines, running backs and tight ends.

Remember the name Jack Coan?  Probably not.  But, he had better stats for Wisconsin than Herbert in the Rose Bowl.  Wisconsin led possession 38:00 to 22:00 and had 120 more yds total offense.

The B1G is generally not a fling'em and sling'em league though with periodic exceptions.   Opposing QBs are just one piece of what Oregon will face.

• Thumbs Up 1

In the CFP game, McCarthy had 140 yds passing for Michigan and 31 rushing.  Penix had 255 passing and -5 rushing.

UM had 303 yds rushing.  UW had 46.

It was 443 to 301 in total yds, and the score was 34-13.   Possession time was near equal, however.

Remember some of those games vs Stanford when possession was heavily in favor of the Cardinal and Ducks fans felt the frustration?

Especially when cold weather arrives in the Midwest, that approach is the recipe.  QBs are just one piece in the B1G approach.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/28/2024 at 4:55 PM, HDuck said:

In the CFP game, McCarthy had 140 yds passing for Michigan and 31 rushing.  Penix had 255 passing and -5 rushing.

It was 443 to 301 in total yds, and the score was 34-13.   Possession time was near equal, however.

Remember some of those games vs Stanford when possession was heavily in favor of the Cardinal and Ducks fans felt the frustration?

Especially when cold weather arrives in the Midwest, that approach is the recipe.  QBs are just one piece in the B1G approach.

Sure I get all that and you’re right on…it’s still a slate of terrible QB’s 😉 

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/28/2024 at 4:55 PM, HDuck said:

McCarthy looked serviceable but never a game breaker. I don't quite get the hype all around him. 

But what gives me confyfor the ducks next year is that we have fantastic lines and our defense should be better next year. Our defense last year struggled with air raid styles of offense. Not a lot of those in the B1G. 

And Oregon has the best QB room in the conference with stellar play makers. They are going to put up points and challenge the opposing offense to score. 

Only problem with that is Oregon's defense isn't going to let them. 

The pac-12 was a though conference in so many ways and it was in part through its diversity of play. 

On 5/28/2024 at 3:57 PM, David Marsh said:

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Thoughts?

Agreed and this list is far better than it has been in the B1G for the past few years. Their mediocre passing games are what make B1G defenses look so good statistical.

Can't wait to show them that their reference point for their greatness isn't that great.

On 5/28/2024 at 4:47 PM, HDuck said:

In many recent seasons in the past, Big Ten QBs didn't have to be stellar.  They had to be serviceable.

Teams made up for it with very good O-lines, running backs and tight ends.

Remember the name Jack Coan?  Probably not.  But, he had better stats for Wisconsin than Herbert in the Rose Bowl.  Wisconsin led possession 38:00 to 22:00 and had 120 more yds total offense.

The B1G is generally not a fling'em and sling'em league though with periodic exceptions.   Opposing QBs are just one piece of what Oregon will face.

I don't think there is a future for 1 dimensional offenses without generational talent. The new multiple defenses are to easy to adjust to take away your strengths and make you play to your weaknesses.

I don't think Michigan beats Georgia if they met in the PO last year for that reason.

It's gonna get ugly on offense for many of the B1G teams we will play. 

On 5/29/2024 at 3:11 AM, David Marsh said:

McCarthy looked serviceable but never a game breaker. I don't quite get the hype all around him. 

But what gives me confyfor the ducks next year is that we have fantastic lines and our defense should be better next year. Our defense last year struggled with air raid styles of offense. Not a lot of those in the B1G. 

And Oregon has the best QB room in the conference with stellar play makers. They are going to put up points and challenge the opposing offense to score. 

Only problem with that is Oregon's defense isn't going to let them. 

The pac-12 was a though conference in so many ways and it was in part through its diversity of play. 

Good take DM.

McCarthy was far more than a game manager when he led a late Michigan drive in the 4th Q before leading the Wolverines to an OT victory. 

One of the very few times in Saban's stint at Bama where the Tide suffered a loss when holding a late 4th Q lead.