NJDuck

Can Oregon WIN Big Ten in First Season? Dan Lanning, Ducks EXPECTATIONS for 2024

• Let’s hope! 1

Most definitely!! tOSU, UO, UM, and PSU are the only teams I see with a chance. Maybe UI too but not likely. As much as the B1G pundits hated UO last year they don't seem to be spewing the same vitriol for OBD now that they have another marquee brand...I remember how they thought CU and Neon was going to use OBD as a trampoline to get to the playoffs...DL and crew put that wounded horse down.

I am a Homer for OBD.

Posted (edited)

I hope Oregon will be hoisting the B1G Trophy; however, I do have some of Geroge Schwartz's hesitation built in. The schedule is difficult. Only once this season will Oregon have two conference games back-to-back in Autzen, 10/5 vs Michigan State and 10/12 vs Ohio State. 

Sports Illustrated (SI) ranks Oregon as having the 5th most difficult schedule in the nation. Ohio State's schedule is ranked as the 57th most difficult. 

Ohio State and Michigan play 8 home games. Oregon had 8 home games on the schedule but now has 7. 

Byes in week 4 and the penultimate week of the season is a bad draw. This results in 8 conference games in a row without a break. The last 4 of the 8 are a yo-yo: Illinois; at Michigan; Maryland, with the Terps coming off of a bye week, and, at Wisconsin, with the Badgers coming off of a bye week.

SI ranks USC with the 2nd toughest schedule in the nation but this is due to the Trojans playing LSU and Notre Dame out of conference. Oregon has the most difficult schedule in the B1G conference in 2024.

It's doable no doubt. But it will not be an easy row to hoe, including having to most likely match up with Ohio State again in the B1G champ game on 12/7/24 in Indianapolis, 175 miles from Columbus and 2262 miles from Eugene.  

I love everyone's enthusiasm and hope Danno and company will make it so.

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Thumbs Up 2