Jon Joseph

PLACE YOUR BETS

I am now 12-8 on the season. Take that Bear! That that 'virtual lock' Joey Galloway.  If Joey was in the home security business, your possessions would be long gone.

I got greedy last week. OK ST easily covered the +7 at Iowa State but did not score the +210 straight up win.

But Notre Dame more than doubled up the -7 vs USC; a program that has removed the LOS from Los Angeles. It is frankly hard to believe how bad these Trojans are playing. With a solid QB and a 1st round draft pick at WR.

And how about them Beavs! Not only covered the +3 but won outright at home. Based on YTD results it's a darn good thing the Ducks play the Beavs in Autzen.

This week? I like #13  Wake -16.5 vs Duke. Not only on the merits but on the nomenclature. Demon Deacons! In a CFB world filled with far too many dogs. cats + tigers. you have to love this nickname.

Staying in the ACC, I like Miami +9 at #17 Pitt. Pitt won a 'big' game at home last Saturday vs an impotent Clemson O. Pitt lost at home to W Michigan. The 3rd string Miami QB is balling out and these Canes have not stopped playing hard for Manny Diaz.

And how about them Kiffin's and #10 Ole Miss? Auburn came close to a win at Penn State. Big deal. I like the Rebels -3 at War Eagle. I don't see Bo Nix keeping up with southern Cal guy, (sigh) Corral?

3 P5 coaches have made dramatic turns in the right direction in 2021. A former CU coach, Mel Tucker, at Michigan State. Dave Aranda at Baylor and Lane Kiffin at Ole Miss.

I'm not sure why he'd leave the financially sound SEC for the Pac-12 and USC? And LSU may cut the Trojans off at the pass? But IMO Kiffin should be #1 on SC's new HC board.

He knows SC. He knows the Pac-12. And he is one heck of a recruiter. Bumps in the road, career and maturity-wise, yes. But he did a magnificent job post-Saban rehab at FAU and in year 2 not only does he have Ole Miss playing outstanding O but the D under his watch has also vastly improved.

Never bet more than your than your creditors can ignore.

BTW - YTD 1L and #7 Oregon's SOS and SOR are both far better than #5 1L Ohio State. But every game counts, right?

• Thumbs Up 1

"BTW - YTD 1L and #7 Oregon's SOS and SOR are both far better than #5 1L Ohio State. But every game counts, right?"

I think Oregon comes out better in the Head to Head category also.

• Haha 1

Great call on both the SOS and SOR being clearly in the Ducks favor compared to Ohio State. Ducks have the #15 SOS in the country and the Strength of Record is also up there.

Ohio State has yet to beat a top 25 team. Probably will do so this Saturday when #20 Penn State comes to Columbus but there are many 2L teams on par with PSU.

Oregon is 2 spots behind a team it defeated with the same record. The same is true with Auburn being ranked 18 and PSU 20.

Another example of name over substance is Bama at 3 ahead of undefeated OK, MI and MI ST. Bama lost to a 2L team and its OOC win over Miami means jack.

The first Committee rankings come out this Tuesday. It will be interesting to see the variance between the AP Poll and the Committee rankings. 

Whole lot of 'eye-test' ranking in the AP and Coaches Polls. Will the Committee rely more on stats? 

On 10/27/2021 at 7:48 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Another example of name over substance is Bama at 3 ahead of undefeated OK, MI and MI ST. Bama lost to a 2L team and its OOC win over Miami means jack.

This came up in a discussion today, and it is the driving force of the Committee. "If (Team A) played (Some other team), I'm positive that Team A would win."

This is exactly the wrong way the Committee should be considering the teams. There is a season's worth of games that have been played to use in their decision making. What the outcome of a hypothetical match up would be is, and should be, irrelevant.

On 10/27/2021 at 4:10 PM, 30Duck said:

This came up in a discussion today, and it is the driving force of the Committee. "If (Team A) played (Some other team), I'm positive that Team A would win."

This is exactly the wrong way the Committee should be considering the teams. There is a season's worth of games that have been played to use in their decision making. What the outcome of a hypothetical match up would be is, and should be, irrelevant.

LOL at the ESPN Talking heads. Herbie: "I'm not going to let what happened in week 2 affect the way I think today." Herbie thinks tOSU is better than Oregon. I know, you're shocked, right?

Every game matters unless it doesn't matter? The Ducks defeated tOSU in Columbus and at this point in the season have a better SOS and better SOR than Ohio State.

To call this THING a Playoff is an insult to the word 'Playoff.'

On 10/27/2021 at 2:40 PM, Jon Joseph said:

To call this THING a Playoff is an insult to the word 'Playoff.'

Can we just call it a Payoff?

That's what it's been from the start. Yes, Alabama probably has been the best team all the years they won the championship. But in a real playoff, in any sport, the "best" team does not always win. That's why the games are played.

The solution to the ESPN/SEC Fan Fest was to increase the size, of course what that would do is just make it possible for MORE SEC teams to vie for the trophy. The SEC is thinking about what's best for them; not an entirely evil idea. But ESPN should be interested in promoting competition, creating a Playoff that has teams and fans across the country engaged throughout the season.

Next week, we'll begin to hear the fingernails on the chalkboard, "Are You In?" as ESPN presents the weekly event of the Release of the Playoff  Rankings!

Oh the excitement!

On 10/26/2021 at 8:46 PM, Jon Joseph said:

I am now 12-8 on the season. Take that Bear! That that 'virtual lock' Joey Galloway.  If Joey was in the home security business, your possessions would be long gone.

I got greedy last week. OK ST easily covered the +7 at Iowa State but did not score the +210 straight up win.

But Notre Dame more than doubled up the -7 vs USC; a program that has removed the LOS from Los Angeles. It is frankly hard to believe how bad these Trojans are playing. With a solid QB and a 1st round draft pick at WR.

And how about them Beavs! Not only covered the +3 but won outright at home. Based on YTD results it's a darn good thing the Ducks play the Beavs in Autzen.

This week? I like #13  Wake -16.5 vs Duke. Not only on the merits but on the nomenclature. Demon Deacons! In a CFB world filled with far too many dogs. cats + tigers. you have to love this nickname.

Staying in the ACC, I like Miami +9 at #17 Pitt. Pitt won a 'big' game at home last Saturday vs an impotent Clemson O. Pitt lost at home to W Michigan. The 3rd string Miami QB is balling out and these Canes have not stopped playing hard for Manny Diaz.

And how about them Kiffin's and #10 Ole Miss? Auburn came close to a win at Penn State. Big deal. I like the Rebels -3 at War Eagle. I don't see Bo Nix keeping up with southern Cal guy, (sigh) Corral?

3 P5 coaches have made dramatic turns in the right direction in 2021. A former CU coach, Mel Tucker, at Michigan State. Dave Aranda at Baylor and Lane Kiffin at Ole Miss.

I'm not sure why he'd leave the financially sound SEC for the Pac-12 and USC? And LSU may cut the Trojans off at the pass? But IMO Kiffin should be #1 on SC's new HC board.

He knows SC. He knows the Pac-12. And he is one heck of a recruiter. Bumps in the road, career and maturity-wise, yes. But he did a magnificent job post-Saban rehab at FAU and in year 2 not only does he have Ole Miss playing outstanding O but the D under his watch has also vastly improved.

Never bet more than your than your creditors can ignore.

BTW - YTD 1L and #7 Oregon's SOS and SOR are both far better than #5 1L Ohio State. But every game counts, right?

My bad in the post but good at the book; I have Ole Miss +3 and not -3. The line has come down to Auburn -2.5.

Edited by Jon Joseph