Thomallister1291

Updated Full Article: Oregon AD Rob Mullens Says He 'Did Worry' Ducks Could Lose Dan Lanning to Alabama

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Mullens said he is "paid to worry," but that what Lanning has said in public about his loyalty to Oregon is the same as what he has...

• Like 1

The article is locked if you have been to OregonLive a couple of times lately, but I have not been there in months...so it was free to me and to share...

--------------------------------------------------------------

Oregon AD Rob Mullens says he ‘did worry’ Ducks could lose Dan Lanning to Alabama

By Bill Oram | The Oregonian/OregonLive

No matter how many times Dan Lanning has said he will not leave the Oregon Ducks for another job, dating back to his earliest days in Eugene all the way through a podcast interview last week, there will be people who worry that he could be lured away.

And at no point in Lanning’s two years has there been a greater risk — perceived, at least — of Lanning bolting from Oregon than in January when Nick Saban retired and created a job opening at Alabama.

At the top of the list of those who were concerned the young coach could bolt was his boss: Oregon athletic director Rob Mullens.

“I feel like part of my job is to worry,” Mullens told The Oregonian/OregonLive last week in a wide-ranging interview. “And so yes, I did worry.”

That would be justifiable, considering the two coaches who preceded Lanning at Oregon, Willie Taggart and Mario Cristobal, both made similar pledges before reversing course and leaving for other opportunities. Taggart went to Florida State in 2018 and Cristobal to Miami in 2021.

Oregon Athletic Director Rob Mullens

Lanning did not make Mullens — or Ducks fans — wait long for a positive resolution. The 38-year-old announced the morning after Saban’s departure that he would not pursue the job, despite being widely viewed as the top candidate. Given the constant movement of college football coaches, and Lanning’s superstar trajectory, it was a moderately surprising development, and a resounding victory for Oregon in a world where coaches preaching loyalty are easier to find than those who practice it.

“From the first time we interviewed Dan, to every private conversation I’ve had,” Mullens said, “it has been exactly what he says publicly. But I’m paid to worry.”

Alabama eventually hired Lanning’s counterpart at rival Washington, Kalen DeBoer, to replace Saban.

Lanning has repeatedly doubled down publicly on his commitment to Oregon, including after he signed a contract extension last fall with a $20 million buyout. He was linked to openings at Auburn and Texas A&M before quickly dismissing those. During the Ducks’ preparation for the Fiesta Bowl in January, Lanning said he expected Oregon to be his “final” job, something he reiterated last week in an interview with broadcast personality Bobby Bones.

“Lucky for me, I found my last job,” Lanning said.

Lanning is 22-5 in two seasons at Oregon, which is preparing for its first season in the Big Ten. The Ducks are seen as a likely candidate to open the season in the top five and a favorite for the expanded College Football Playoff.

Lanning2_Oregon Football Twitter.jpg

Come...to OREGON!

The Ducks have brought in back-to-back top-10 recruiting classes, including a class ranked third in the country this year, according to rankings from 247 Sports.

“Everybody knew when we hired him — particularly people in Athens, Georgia, because we did a lot of reference calls — knew that we are hiring an outstanding football coach,” Mullens said. “They knew that he gets connection, they knew that he builds quality relationships. And that he would build the kind of culture that would allow us to succeed at the highest level. And now we’re seeing it happen.”

• Great post! 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Dan Lanning WILL BE our Nick Saban! Mark my words!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Let’s hope! 1
  • Cool 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I know Mullins is paid to worry and who could blame him after Taggert and Cristobal (neither of whom ever impressed me). Of course, I couldn't say for sure that Lanning would stay, but having heard his positive comments about Eugene, the university, and the affection his family felt for the area, I would have been shocked by a move to Tuscaloosa. For one thing it was too early. And I think Dan felt he had serious unfinished business  in the valley. 

I also think that Dan knew the risks of following Saban at Alabama. If you are going there you want to become the guy who follows Saban's successor. DeBoer may do quite well there' but it is really an almost impossible comparison over the long run..

• Thanks 1

On 7/22/2024 at 8:23 PM, Thomallister1291 said:

Dan Lanning WILL BE our Nick Saban! Mark my words!

It's gonna be hard for any coach to have a dynasty like Saban did at Alabama. With the expanded playoff, player transfers, and ever-changing landscape of CFB. But to be our Saban, he can do that by doing what Dabo did at Clemson.

He's really young, two titles are entirely possible. Anything above that is icing to me . Kirby has two at Georgia, Urban had two at Florida. Carroll had two at USC. Paterno had two at Penn State. Bowden had two at Florida State. All those guys are Hall of Famers.

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

First time I've noticed Lanning saying this will be his last job.

Can you imagine what it would mean for the program to have Lanning for 30 more years?

That kind of stretch as a relevant powerhouse football program, likely with a few national championships, would cement the Ducks as a true blue blood forever.

• Wow 1