Steven A

NIL Fallout

The State of North Carolina being sued for restricting high school athletes from being able to use the NIL world.

This is probably going to spread to any state that does not allow high school athletes to be able to use profit from their NIL value.

WWW.ESPN.COM

The mother of quarterback Faizon Brandon, who is the No. 32 overall recruit in the ESPN Junior 300, is suing the state of North Carolina over its NIL restrictions.

Middle schoolers must be salivating.

I've heard of unscrupulous agents (not sure there are many other kinds) signing HS kids, and maybe college also, to personal service contracts for a low percentage of their future earnings, but those earnings are not limited to NIL deal or pro contracts.  For instance, if the pros don't pan out and they become an insurance agent, teacher, etc., they still are on the hook for a piece of their salary. Read the fine print my friends.

Like any profession, there are probably good agents and some really bad ones.

Contracts signed by a minor are a slippery slope. Minors do not have contractual capacity to enter into a binding contract. I think a parent can co-sign an agreement, but not entirely sure. 

However, a minor can honor a contract and at age 18, the age of contractual capacity, if they have not taken steps to void the contract, it may then be considered legally binding.