cartm25

General Thoughts About The Game

It’s a long season and the 12-team playoff allows room for in-year team development.

Hype doesn’t = wins. Hype is hype, and nothing more.

A temporary (or permanent) pause on producing “That Team Out West” videos is in order.

The OL has me terrified.

Sincere question: Is Jordan James the slowest RB1 Oregon has ever featured?

I liked what I saw from the defense, but my gut is still upset about Idaho scoring 14. Are my expectations too high?

I miss the days when Mari Cristbal could get any OLineman he wanted (I just puked in my mouth complimenting MC). The OL has to be such a cohesive unit that filling with transfer portal folks may be difficult to do long-term.

Dillon Gabriel passed the eye test for me. He looks poised and in control back there. Too bad the OL let him down.

The uniforms looked incredible even if the poor game play dulled the shine a bit.

NOT a fan of the “behind the QB” camera angle for actual game viewing. Leave that angle for replays.

During the game, I couldn't help but think that Oregon has never beaten the Boise State Broncos at football. Looked forward to seeing that streak end next week, but it may not be so certain.

• Applause 1

On 9/1/2024 at 6:20 AM, cartm25 said:

I liked what I saw from the defense, but my gut is still upset about Idaho scoring 14. Are my expectations too high?

They scored one on a trick play--it happens.  Overall I think this defense is showing us how it has the talent to be outstanding, IMHO.

NOT a fan of the “behind the QB” camera angle for actual game viewing. Leave that angle for replays.

Completely agree.  The good news is that often on good plays--they did play it from a normal above angle.

The OL has me terrified.

I am not there yet, but the drop-off from losing one player on the OL should not have been that dramatic.  Poncho played the most of any reserve O-lineman last year, and he primarily did it at right guard...where he played yesterday.

Pickard got beat badly in the Spring Game by our newbie defensive linemen, thus I was dismayed to see him out there.  I think the coaches rolled the dice on who could play better...replace the center or the guard?

Our star offensive tackles had their worst game at Oregon, and I don't expect to see that again.  I think I will know better once I spend time pouring over every play--haven't done that yet.'

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Thought from Wilner's West's post-games column...

Why so many close games on the first full week of the regular season? Without breaking down film of every play, the Hotline can do little more than guess. And here’s our guess: The transfer portal.
Teams in the power conferences are heavily reliant on the transfer portal and, as a result, lack continuity to a much greater degree than they did three or four years ago. Meanwhile, many FCS teams retain the majority of their veterans and possess better cohesion.
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1

On 9/1/2024 at 12:18 PM, HDuck said:

Thought from Wilner's West's post-games column...

Why so many close games on the first full week of the regular season? Without breaking down film of every play, the Hotline can do little more than guess. And here’s our guess: The transfer portal.
Teams in the power conferences are heavily reliant on the transfer portal and, as a result, lack continuity to a much greater degree than they did three or four years ago. Meanwhile, many FCS teams retain the majority of their veterans and possess better cohesion.

Very good take, thanks for sharing. Still a little jealous that other power teams that used the portal extensively managed to score 40+ points.

As a coach, playing your arguably least talented opponent this season,  what better game to give tryout to your most inexperienced center?

Yes. It screws up communication on the O-line, but may be critically important later on.

• Thumbs Up 1

OBD,

Found this brief article about our Ducks on the internet. Who wrote and published it? Unknown, but nonetheless interesting.
I believe DL has often made a point about the little things and how the team does them; The example reads something like, "If we do the little things wrong (set up for stretching), that's how we are doing the big things, too." Or, words to that effect. 

"Saturday early evening in Autzen Stadium, Oregon survived a disciplined, inspired, well-coached Idaho team that spotted them 22 scholarships at the start of the game. 

Oregon showed a lot of poise in icing the game in the 4th quarter. With the Vandals riding all the momentum after pulling within 17-14 with 9:42 to go in the game Dillon Gabriel led a 10-play, 75-yard touchdown drive for the decisive score, flipping a 12-yard touchdown pass to Tez Johnson on 4th and 2.

Nikko Reed then came up with a big play on defense, an acrobatic interception down the right sideline, preserving a hard-earned, shockingly close 24-14 win.

But the problem that emerged came earlier. Throughout the game the Ducks looked heavy-legged and sluggish. The team lacked juice.

Linemen were late to their blocks and slow-footed in pass protection. They flubbed the snap count and lined up illegally. Running backs lost their balance with wide open field in front of them. On one 4th and 1 play, the left tackle tripped over the fullback.

Great veteran coaches like Pete Carroll and Chris Petersen excelled at knowing when to taper off a little, bringing their team to a game with fresh legs.

Duck fans love Dan Lanning for his passion,  conviction and intensity. He's driven and 100% real. But a game like this should inspire some self-evaluation: The Ducks came out of camp banged-up and looking tired. Did he push them too hard? 

Nobody gets to see practice except the in-house reporters and the video team, tight shots only. We can only make observations from what we see,  a too-close game against Idaho."

To answer that last question, only DL and the Asst coaches and analysts really have a semi-accurate assessment on that. I am sure each one has to have a fact-based assessment and recommended fix for their players. They have been very accurate up to this point, and we did not lose this game 33-36.

VR,

KCDuck1

• Go Ducks! 1

The O line looked slow and a bit confused. It will take a while for continuity. Same thing Dans first year.

We couldn't get a running game going otherwise DG would have thrown for 500. I'm more concerned about our running game versus O line. I also noticed we dint run RPO"s much. I realize we didnt show much off the play book. This next game will be a real test as they could have the best back in the country, although like our D. They have a quick d-line like Idaho so we best be in better sync up front.

On 9/1/2024 at 1:27 PM, KCDuck1 said:

But the problem that emerged came earlier. Throughout the game the Ducks looked heavy-legged and sluggish. The team lacked juice.

Linemen were late to their blocks and slow-footed in pass protection. They flubbed the snap count and lined up illegally. Running backs lost their balance with wide open field in front of them. On one 4th and 1 play, the left tackle tripped over the fullback.

Great veteran coaches like Pete Carroll and Chris Petersen excelled at knowing when to taper off a little, bringing their team to a game with fresh legs.

Duck fans love Dan Lanning for his passion,  conviction and intensity. He's driven and 100% real. But a game like this should inspire some self-evaluation: The Ducks came out of camp banged-up and looking tired. Did he push them too hard?

Interesting angle that hadn't really occurred to me regarding the outcome of the game.

Jabbar Muhammad, who experienced fall camps at Oklahoma State and Washington prior to Oregon, answered an Athlon reporter's question about Oregon's fall camp this way:

"One thing I wanted to get better at was my physicality and you have no choice but to do that here, so it was a perfect match for me."

When further asked about the difference in environments between Oregon and his other stops he said:

"It's way different, you are hitting and rat-a-tat-tatting every single day, so it's much different. It's a tough schedule. It's legit all day. I know you see the Tik-Toks and everything, but our camp is really all day. It's lenient in some other programs, but this one is kinda tough."

Edited by AnotherOD
  • Thumbs Up 1