NJDuck

With a Trip to the Rose Bowl, 1994 Oregon Ducks Set the Foundation for Program’s Future

Mike Bellotti remembers the seriousness in Phil Knight’s voice.

The first-year Oregon football coach was still processing a 38-6 drubbing at the hands of Colorado in the 1996 Cotton Bowl. And the Nike co-founder had a pointed question for him at the postgame gathering of coaches, boosters and athletic personnel on a late night in Dallas.

“Mike, what do you need to win a national championship?” Knight asked.

“An indoor facility,” Bellotti replied, taking a sip of his beer.

“How soon can we get that done?”

“Well, we need to fundraise, and —”

“No, no, no,” Knight leaned in. “How soon can we get that done?

The Ducks got their facility, and a lot more, thanks in large part to Knight’s deep coffers. Nearly 30 years later, they boast facilities on par with any athletic program in the country, stretching from the fountains outside Moshofsky Center to the tower at renovated Hayward Field. And in the new age of college football, Oregon’s NIL resources are robust.

It all started in earnest with Knight’s urgency and backing, but it was the 1994 Oregon football team — now celebrating its 30th anniversary — that may have lit the match that stoked the flame.

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

A through line could be drawn between the bounce-back 1994 season that ended in a Rose Bowl appearance, and the modern power the Ducks have become.

• Like 1

This is a great article and it filled me with many fond memories.  Thanks, NJD.

I watched the Ducks until 1994.  It was that year that I became a diehard Duck FAN!

With a trip to the Rose Bowl, the 2008 Oregon State Beavers set the foundation for the program’s fut……never mind.

• Haha 2
  • Applause 1