Jon Joseph

WEEK 10 GAMES WITH A PLAYOFF PUNCH

Interesting that the Saturday after the 1st release of the Committee rankings CFB has but 1 game, 13 Auburn at 14 A+M, featuring top 25 vs top 25. 

Nevertheless, there are any number of games this weekend that could impact the "WHO IS IN" question.

#3 MICHIGAN STATE -3 at NR PURDUE - 3:30 ABC - 9 times a NR Boilermakers team has defeated the #2 team in the country. Tied for second on this list with 4 such wins is Arizona. After a stirring comeback vs Michigan will Sparty have enough in the tank to win on the road against a feisty 5-3 Purdue? 

#5 OHIO STATE -14.5 at NR NEBRASKA - Noon FOX - Ohio State fans are not happy about being ranked behind a team the Buckeyes lost to? TOUGH! Ohio State struggled on the road to put away #20 Minnesota and at home last Saturday to defeat NR Penn State. But Ohio State has creamed the crummy teams it has played this season. Nebraska is a crummy team and the Buckeyes have good reason to want to blow away the Frosty's. But Lincoln is a tough place to play and this game is the Cornhuskers Super Bowl?

#9 WAKE FOREST +2.5 at NR UNC - Noon ABC - Believe it or not sports fans this is the 1st game of a home and home "nonconference game" series? I think UNC wins in a big time shoot out which would mean the ACC's slim PO hopes will vaporize. But an L will not count against Wake's ACC record?  

THE SOONER SPECIALS - You can bet that #8 Oklahoma's (idle in Week 10) coaches, players and fans will be watching the following two games and cheering for the #11 Cowboys and the #12 Bears! Both still to play Oklahoma.

BTW: When 'traitor' Oklahoma trips to Stillwater to play OK ST it will be BEDLAM! The governor of Oklahoma best be ready to call out the entire state police force and the OK national guard.

#11 OKLAHOMA STATE -2.5 at NR WEST VIRGUNIA - 3:30 ESPN - West Virginia is 4-4 but has good home wins over VA Tech and last week versus Iowa State. And W VA was in the game at Oklahoma well into the 4th quarter.

#12 BAYLOR -7 at NR TCU - 3:30 FOX - Rather ironic that this matchup, which has produced many great games, is the first game for the Horned Frogs post the departure of long time HC Gary Patterson. The Baylor Bears has been one of the great bounce back stories of 2021. HC Dave Aranda, former DC at LSU, has taken a 2W team in 2020 to #12 in the country. (Possible Further Irony? Sonny Dykes takes the TCU job and Patterson takes the SMU job?)

#13 AUBURN +4.5 at #14 TEXAS A+M - 3:30 CBS - Auburn HC Bryan Harsin has seamlessly made the transition from Mountain West Boise to The Plains. (Sigh. Pac-12 teams, this guy was right next door and not making a huge amount of $.) Many Auburn fans thought that Harsin was a bad, bad hire. But Auburn has been in every game and up and down QB, Bo Nix, is playing by far, the most consistent and best ball of his career.

A+M QB Calzada balled out versus Bama but has otherwise been average at best. A+M wins and Bama's L looks better? Auburn wins and it could set up a great matchup in the Iron Bowl. FWIW, I do not think that this is a vintage Bama team and is over ranked at #2?

#4 OREGON -7 (up from the opening -6.5) at NR WASHINGTON - 7:30 ABC - Amazingly, UW has a chance at winning out, winning the Pac-12 N, winning the Pac-12 champ game and playing in the Rose Bowl. UW would love to cut Oregon off at the Playoff pass. Won't happen. But this is the first of 5 tough games in 5 weeks for the Ducks.

Compare what the top 5 PO Committee ranked teams left compared to Cincinnati? Cincinnati did not 'get screwed.' 100 SOS. 5 wins against teams with losing records. Playing in a conference ranked #11.

My advice? Watch the FOX pregame show on Saturday and not the sob fest that will be Gameday's visit to Cincinnati. Why wouldn't Rece and crew be there for the titanic battle between Cincy and Tulsa?

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sorry for the double post; posted 1st addition before correction made.

"Gameday" is really a "3 hour tour" I don't take anymore,

Not only is State coming off the big, emotional W, putting their RB  front and center for the Heisman, they have to play Purdue, who beat the Beavs Week 1,

I just checked and it's Ohio State -28 at Nebraska. Not hoping for much, but most likely the 'Husker fans will be polite.

Draft kings shows -14.5; O/U 66. 

Where did you see -28? I would be all over NEB with that #.

I rarely watch anything on ESPN any longer except for game broadcasts.

On 11/4/2021 at 1:58 PM, 30Duck said:

"Gameday" is really a "3 hour tour" I don't take anymore,

Not only is State coming off the big, emotional W, putting their RB  front and center for the Heisman, they have to play Purdue, who beat the Beavs Week 1,

I just checked and it's Ohio State -28 at Nebraska. Not hoping for much, but most likely the 'Husker fans will be polite.

+28 if you can find it? Go Nebraska. Nebraska lost by a combined 13 points tp OK, MI + MI ST.

On 11/4/2021 at 11:32 AM, Jon Joseph said:

+28 if you can find it? Go Nebraska. Nebraska lost by a combined 13 points tp OK, MI + MI ST.

giphy.gif

The -28 was Alabama over LSU.

On 11/4/2021 at 3:00 PM, 30Duck said:

giphy.gif

The -28 was Alabama over LSU.

Not bad, there are tons of CFB games to track. But you did have me hustling to find that -28!