Charles Fischer

Cristobal on the Defensive Effort: "It’s the Physicality. You could HEAR it"

(Press Release from Oregon Athletics)

Question:  Thoughts on the defensive effort, especially early in the game?

CRISTOBAL: "Outstanding, I mean held them for the entire game to less than 170 yards, I believe. Without a doubt we were having a tough time finding our way on offense early. It was raining sideways just about. The passing game - we had to be smart. We had to limit what we were doing and it felt like it was a three-and-out, four or five plays and out just consistently [for the defense].

It’s not just that, it’s the way they were doing it. It’s the physicality. You could hear it. It just sounded different from the sideline, the way the front seven was playing and how much our defensive backs were smothering their wide receivers as well. Great defensive performance. I know we gave up that long drive we would like to have back, but certainly all in all just really proud of the way those guys played tonight."

Question:  Impressions of the fourth down stop and the ensuing touchdown?

CRISTOBAL: "That was huge. They run their wildcat package pretty consistently and our defense just knocked back the line of scrimmage, just knocked it back completely for a loss. Huge momentum swing there. We took the ball down and we scored. Great play by Anthony [Brown] to Devon Williams, reading it the entire way on the boot and certainly changing the entire momentum of the game - never looked back after that. But battled. The whole way was a battle. They have a really good football team, good players. Without a doubt that was a momentum swing and a game-changer."

Question: Tell us about the momentum shift after the fourth down stop?

CRISTOBAL: "Well I think it further highlights the importance of those defensive stops. Because they had all the momentum. They had all the momentum and if our defense doesn’t come up with those stops that might continue. And then in a game like this where you can’t really just throw the ball down the field at will, it could have made a difference. So without question that was the momentum changer, the momentum swing. Phenomenal job by our defense making that stop. Tremendous job by the offense capitalizing."

Smaller Defense Stops_Oregon Football Twitter.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Without a doubt we were having a tough time finding our way on offense early.”

That’s putting it mildly!

But, MC is right: the D Was awesome!

On 11/7/2021 at 1:22 AM, Charles Fischer said:

They have a really good football team, good players. Without a doubt that was a momentum swing and a game-changer."

Washington DOES NOT have a very good football team 

That is about the biggest insult to football intelligence I've seen from  a coach.  Montana beat those guys.

Really good football teams don't lose to Division II teams. Ever.