deschutesduck

Cal vs USC canceled because no one wanted to watch

or maybe COVID... 

The USC-California football game scheduled for Saturday has been postponed, Cal announced Tuesday.

"It was a difficult decision to postpone this Saturday's game against USC," Cal athletic director Jim Knowlton said in a statement. "We know how important every one of our games is to our student-athletes, especially our seniors who have been incredible representatives of the program, but it was the right thing to do.

"Due to additional impact on specific position groups, we have decided to postpone Saturday's game. We have had multiple COVID-19 positives within our program, and we are taking every step we can to mitigate the spread and protect the greater community."

Cal was undermanned for its game at Arizona on Saturday, with approximately 42 scholarship players in uniform after roughly two dozen tested positive during the week. The team, which has a 99% vaccination rate among players, experienced additional positive cases after the Arizona game, the school said.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32593272/usc-cal-football-game-postponed-due-covid-19-cases-golden-bears

Games were supposed to be a forfiet?

Guess not 

On 11/9/2021 at 4:43 PM, shawnski said:

Guess not 

That was my initial thought but I guess the conference can overrule it if they decide Cal isn't at fault and with a 99% vaccination rate on the team it's kinda hard to blame them.  Just made me wonder if this could come up with other games this season as I believe it's the first to be canceled.

I feel bad for the Cal players, and hope they all recover well and quickly.

On 11/9/2021 at 4:43 PM, shawnski said:

Guess not 

Neither team is playing for the conference championship. So they can use that weekend to play their game reasonably. 

It would be a different story if one team was on the verge of making the conference championship game but needed an extra win to get them across the threshold.