30Duck

Here are the changes the CFP Needs

Joel Klatt breaks down his plans to fix the CFP, and a lot of them have been discussed right here at OBD

Joel Klatt Proposes Big Changes to College Football Playoff Ashton Pollard www.on3.com

image.jpeg.bac0ff153d8825c4a3c2a1448f43ad3c.jpeg

Michigan State beats Michigan, the CFP Committee puts Michigan above Michigan State. Alabama, Cincinnati, don't cover, but either stay where they are, or move up. Yes, the CFP is broken, or actually running just the way it's supposed to.

Until you take the human factor out it'll never be fair. 

I'll go with 3 of his 4. In 2001, the computers royally screwed the Ducks.

Computer input is all subject to GIGO. IF a computer formula is to be used the programming parameters have to be disclosed.

But another change that should happen, especially with the AAC losing 3 teams to the B12, share the big boy $ with the G5 but hold a separate PO for the P5 and the G5.

My idea, the ACC, Notre Dame, B1G and Pac-12 hold their own postseason Run For The Roses Tournament.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/11/2021 at 4:21 PM, Jon Joseph said:

My idea, the ACC, Notre Dame, B1G and Pac-12 hold their own postseason Run For The Roses Tournament.

That's a winner! I did like Klatt's idea of doing away with Divisions, and "diluting" The Committee. However many members, whatever their "Guidelines & Protocols" still end up with what happened in Week 2. It is not a Playoff, but an Invitational, when the teams are picked by a committee

I really like expanding the field to 12, or 14 teams, that include conference champions. A conference championship should mean something. It's clear, however, that several of the coaches who coach the perennially top teams are very much against expanding the field.

Edited by latracey

On 11/11/2021 at 5:52 PM, latracey said:

It's clear, however, that several of the coaches who coach the perennially top teams are very much against expanding the field.

That's it. A playoff consisting of Conference Champions, 2 wildcard's and a Group of 5 doesn't cut it with the SEC. It wants "The Best Teams" with No restrictions on how many can be from one conference. 

On 11/11/2021 at 6:05 PM, 30Duck said:

That's it. A playoff consisting of Conference Champions, 2 wildcard's and a Group of 5 doesn't cut it with the SEC. It wants "The Best Teams" with No restrictions on how many can be from one conference. 

Exactly my friend. It's not just the $6M for a final 4 appearance the SEC pulls down every year, it is also about the $4M that come with a NY6 Bowl invite. The SEC puts 3 teams plus in NY6 bowls every season.

But as noted above with The Run For The Roses thought, it will mean less $ but other than that, a big 'that' no doubt, there is no reason for The Alliance to play in the SEC/ESPN sandbox.

An 8 team Alliance + ND post season tournament will still bring in the big bucks from more than 1 bidder. If ND is in the mix NBC will likely want to be in the mix. FOX is a no brainer and CBS after losing the SEC broadcast rights would also be interested. Possibly even Turner would come to the table?

Set the season and tourney up to conclude on 1/1 with the champ game played in the Rose Bowl. CFB should conclude on 1/1 and in the Rose Bowl and not some place like Santa Clara.

3 conference champs and 5 AL without a limit on the # of teams a conference can send.

I think with 5 AL spots and the B12 and SEC not involved that ND would be fine with this approach.? Under the proposed 12 team model ND could never be ranked higher than 5. But I would make ND, if it didn't become a full time ACC football member, play 13 games.

• Thumbs Up 1