Charles Fischer

Cristobal: "They Can't Just Focus on Kayvon"

(From Oregon Athletics Press Release)

Some interesting comments by Coach Mario Cristobal about the defense on Saturday...

Question: How do Brandon Dorlus and Kayvon Thibodeaux complement each other?

CRISTOBAL: "They do [make it difficult on offenses]. Brandon Dorlus is as explosive and effective as you’ll find now. He’s big. He’s powerful, extremely smart, athletic as can be so he has first, second, third down value. He doesn’t have to come out of the game. And when he is playing at the high level like he has been playing at lately it changes us. They can’t just focus on Kayvon. Good to see a guy like Jayson Jones also get his first sack of the year. He’s been playing a lot better, developing more and more and more. But a lot of guys - Bradyn Swinson played well, I know Mace [Funa] played well - so a lot of guys stepping up and playing good football."  

Question:  Can you talk about the impact Verone McKinley III and Bryan Addison had at safety?

CRISTOBAL: "Yeah, I’ll tell you when it’s 7-0 and Verone gets that pick, that was another huge bolt of energy to our sideline. Our offensive guys fed off of that big time. That’s what Verone does, he is a game-changer for us, as well. He got that interception, [Washington State] tried to hit us on that deep corner ball, and he played it just perfectly. He almost came out of that, too. They had him by the jersey, and the face mask, I would have liked to see tacked on some more yardage. Then Byran Addison getting his first interception. BA has been through a lot, done a lot and it is great to see him now - his role expanding and getting out there and making such an important play to seal a game like this one. I am proud of him."

Question:  On not allowing many explosive plays, especially in the run game…

CRISTOBAL: "They are [keeping people in front of them]. A couple of times they broke contain on us and a good chunk of those yards are on that last drive when we were playing a lot of the guys we need to get better. We were playing a lot of reserves so certainly that first unit and the guys alternating with the first unit really stepped up. Block construction is playing off. We’re really striking blockers. We’re getting off blocks better. We’re making plays. They run the ball well. They really do. They have great running backs. They have two great offensive tackles. They really spread you out with those big splits and our guys just did a really good job controlling the line of scrimmage on both sides and at the end of the day it was the difference in the game."

Defense celebrates vs WSU_Oregon Football Twitter.jpg

Mr. FishDuck