Charles Fischer

What the Rivalry Win Means to Mario and His Family

(From Oregon Athletics Press Release)

Question:  What does the rivalry win mean to you, especially after last year’s game?

CRISTOBAL: "Well, it was big. I mean, last year, that was a rough one. You know, coming off that field and in the fashion that it was won, again, a back-and-forth battle, but they found a way to win. We found a way not to win. You know, we had to change that by the way we played, by the way we executed. Things got a little bit heated there at the end. You wish it doesn’t because that’s not part of the game, man. You know, it’s just frustrations leaking out. We’re all responsible, both sides.

You know, can’t let that stuff happen, but this game is really important and we— you know, you saw a lot of talk today and throughout the week on rivalry week, and how teams, when they play in rivalry week, they carry the support of all those that wore the “O” or whatever respective logo they play for. They carry that with them, and when you do, you’re playing for a lot more than just the guys in the locker room.

You know, and I think the ones that understand that, the important of rivalries, well, I think that’s why it carries that extra energy, and you can focus on getting your guys ready for the game by executing and digging deep in a game plan and fundamentals and technique. But the other stuff carries you over, pushes you over the top, and I think we felt that today. We want to make our guys proud."

Question: What’s the moment like when you’re able to enjoy the win and do it with your family?

CRISTOBAL: "You want to enjoy it with everybody. You know, the boys, you know, the family, Jessica hadn’t had a chance to be out on the field all year, you know. I want to celebrate with the players. I like congratulating each and every person in the organization right after a game, right after a victory. And I want to chuck the ball around with them a little bit.

You know, they’re the best. They’re actually sitting here watching me, probably critiquing everything I’m saying, you know. You don’t get to see them much, so really appreciate the opportunity to just throw a couple deep passes out there in Autzen. Maybe they’re recruitable in a couple years!"

Mario Cristobal on Twitter: "BLESSED! #GoDucks https://t.co/lJrN3F3Doj" /  Twitter

• Thumbs Up 4

Mr. FishDuck

Good man.

• Thumbs Up 2

Good win.

• Thumbs Up 1

I said it before and I will say it again. Great coaches find a way to pick a team up after a soul crushing loss and find ways to use the lessons learned to inspire wins. I put the challenge to Mario to show us what he had. What he had was a win that left no doubt about which team was superior over, when it comes right down to it for old timers like me, our One True Rival. 

I'm really impressed with what I've seen from Mario Cristobal this season. Who among us thought we would be enjoying a 10 win season back in August? Mark my words, Cristobal will have the Ducks ready to battle with Utah on Friday. Let's git 'er done Mario!

Edited by latracey
  • Thumbs Up 1

The good news is that the 12/13 personnel offense that Utah runs is now an offense our defense has been preparing for for 3 weeks. Advantage Oregon!

• Thumbs Up 1