Jon Joseph

What to do 1st? Hire a New Football Coach or Jump Ship?

College Football Playoff Committee Final Ranking.

'New B12' - 4 Cincinnati, 7 Baylor,  9 Oklahoma State, 13 BYU,  20 Houston -  That's 1 Final 4 team and a total of 3 NY6 Bowl teams = $14M in playoff money - Eliminate TX and OK, 7 of the 8 remaining B12 teams are bowl eligible, All 4 new member schools are bowl eligible. 'New B12' - 11 of 12 teams are bowl eligible.

Pac-12 - 11 Utah, 14 Oregon - 1 NY6 Bowl team = $4M. 6 of 12 teams are bowl eligible.

AP Basketball Poll 

'New B12' - 2 Baylor, 8 Kansas, 14 Houston, 17 Iowa State, 24 BYU

Pac-12 - 4 UCLA, 11 Arizona, 16 USC (Arizona is on probation)

According to Forbes, 3 Pac-12 football programs are in top 25 in all-in revenue: Oregon, USC and UW. 

Before Mullens (is he qualified to make the hire) hires a new football coach, how about ASU (Phoenix market,) Oregon, USC and UW get on the phone with B12 Commissioner Bob Bowlsby and ask to join up and form a 16 team conference? Or, why doesn't Oregon just call Bob and believe 3 other quality programs will be added along with the Ducks? After all, when it comes to college football expansion, Bowlsby just schooled the Pac-12.

USC just opened the wallet like a blue blood should. Oregon did the same in its effort to retain Mario. How many other schools in the Pac-12 have the willingness and/or the money to spend what is needed to be a national contender in Power 5 football? 

No matter how good of a negotiator the new Pac-12 commissioner may be, as is, the Pac-12 does not have a prayer of closing the financial gap between it, the B1G and the SEC.

Stay parochial and go bust? Or go nationwide with a chance to close the financial gap?

A coaching hire is a short term thing. Conference affiliation is long term thing. 

I agree completely that Oregon, if it wants to compete at the highest level needs to get out of the Pac-12, and a Big 16 seems like a great idea. I do think they should get the new football coach first, though. 

Bold move to leave the Pac12?

Smart move.

On 12/7/2021 at 12:21 PM, 30Duck said:

I agree completely that Oregon, if it wants to compete at the highest level needs to get out of the Pac-12, and a Big 16 seems like a great idea. I do think they should get the new football coach first, though. 

Yes, the new HC hire is a piece of cake compared to the major 'business' decision to depart a conference you have been a member of for many a moon. But I honestly believe it is a necessity to find a new home with partners willing to invest in athletics and be a member of conference is not a national afterthought?