Charles Fischer

Oregon Football: Jarwarski Beckum Hired As Director Of Speed And Performance

(From Oregon Athletics Press Release)

EUGENE, Ore. — The University of Oregon athletic department announced on Wednesday the hiring of Jarwarski Beckum as the new director of speed and performance for the Oregon football program.

Beckum comes to Oregon from Ole Miss, where he spent the last two seasons as the assistant director of football strength and conditioning while working with new Oregon head strength and conditioning coach Wilson Love.

“We are thrilled to have Jarwarski Beckum join us here at Oregon,” head coach Dan Lanning said. “He is a tremendous addition to our strength and conditioning staff. His experience working with Wilson Love the past two years will really allow him to hit the ground running here in Eugene. Coach Jaws has done it all in the weight room, but truly specializes in speed training and development. I am fired up to welcome Jarwarski, his wife, Davida, and their two children, DJ and London, to the Duck family.”

Beckum reunites with Love and joins a staff that includes Shaud Williams and Mark Davis, who are both staying on at Oregon as assistant strength and conditioning coaches.

Jarwarski Beckum Hired As Director Of Speed And performance

“I want to thank Coach Lanning, Coach Love, and the University of Oregon administration for this incredible opportunity,” Beckum said. “When you think of speed and college football, you think of the Oregon Ducks. I couldn’t be more excited about the opportunity to play a role in continuing that tradition. I can’t wait to get to work with our elite student-athletes and the terrific staff Coach Lanning has assembled in Eugene. Go Ducks!”

Ole Miss went 10-3 overall in 2021 with Beckum on staff, knocking off Mississippi State in the Egg Bowl for the second straight year and earning a trip to the Allstate Sugar Bowl. The Rebels were one of the more explosive teams in the nation, ranking in the top 20 in plays of 10-plus and 20-plus yards.

Prior to going to Ole Miss, Beckum spent three seasons as an assistant strength and conditioning coach at Nevada. The Wolf Pack made back-to-back bowl appearances in 2018 and 2019.

A graduate of Mississippi State, Beckum began his career as a volunteer intern at Alabama before being promoted to an assistant strength coach role. While with the Crimson Tide, he served as the speed coach for football, women’s basketball, and softball.

Ole Miss strength and conditioning staff announced

Beckum went from Alabama to Grambling State, where he spent three seasons as the director of strength and conditioning. The Tigers football team went a combined 20-3 in Beckum’s final two seasons in 2015 and 2016, going undefeated in conference play both years and winning the HBCU National Championship in his final season before going to Nevada. Beckum helped develop seven all-Americans, 14 first-team all-conference players, and nine future NFL players while at Grambling.

Beckum holds certification from the National Strength and Conditioning Association, as well as USAW and USATF.

• Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 1/19/2022 at 9:46 AM, Charles Fischer said:

“When you think of speed and college football, you think of the Oregon Ducks.

I sure hope this is still true, and that it will once again become a reality.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 1/19/2022 at 10:02 AM, jrw said:

I sure hope this is still true, and that it will once again become a reality.

This is all I ever asked for the article a few weeks ago wanting the Oregon "Brand" back, and I got vilified on other sites for it.  So nice to have a GREEN REFUGE, where civility reigns--even when people disagree.

• Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck