Jon Joseph

TOP 2022 OUT-OF-CONFERENCE (OOC) GAMES TO LOOK FORWARD TO

Some great early OOC games are coming our way in 2022.

September 13 - 

OREGON vs GEORGIA - Mercedes Benz Stadium (MBS) - Atlanta, GA

Georgia is 1-4 in its last 5 games played in MBS. 3 Ls vs Bama; an L vs LSU and a win over Cincinnati in the Peach Bowl. JT Daniels authored the W over Cincy. With Stetson Bennett returning to QB Georgia, JT is in the transfer portal. This game will likely be Oregon QB Bo Nix fourth start vs Georgia; Nix is 0-3 to date.

NOTRE DAME AT OHIO STATE - Columbus, Ohio

Notre Dame lost its head coach, its starting QB and a number of other quality players. I expect JC Stroud to light it up in his 2nd year at QB for the Buckeyes. And with a new DC coming in from Oklahoma State, the Cowboys defeated ND in the Fiesta Bowl, I expect the Ohio State D that was not up to program standards in 2021 to improve in 2022. Expect Ohio State to be ranked no lower than No. 3 in the AP preseason poll. 

UTAH at FLORIDA - Gainesville, Florida

Whittingham's rumored retirement did not happen. This will be his 18th year as HC in Salt Lake City. This will be Billy Napier's first season as HC of the Gators. Cam Rising will be the Utah starter from day 1. The Utes return its top RB and replace AA LB Lloyd at LB with Florida's 2nd leading tackler in 2021. Two of the 3 outstanding Utah TEs return and Utah has also signed 2 quality TEs out of the portal. I think Utah will be a very, very good team in 2022 and UF has a lot of questions at QB and elsewhere on offense.

ARKANSAS at CINCINNATI - Cincinnati, Ohio 

Lots of excellent players have left the Cincy program  including starting QB Ridder and two AA cornerbacks. Arkansas was a surprisingly good team in 2021 and returns many good players. I do not believe Cincy is close to a final 4 team in 2022.

September 14 -

FSU vs LSU in New Orleans, LA.

This is as much a neutral site game as is Oregon playing Georgia in Atlanta. What will LSU look like under new HC Brian Kelly? Will FSU show signs of improvement?

September 10 -

ALABAMA at TEXAS - Austin, Texas

Alabama should be a lock to be AP Poll preseason No. 1. Sark's Texas team flamed out in 2021 and was not bowl eligible. Texas, do you really want to play ball in the SEC? 

September 17 -

BYU at OREGON - Eugene, Oregon

As if playing Georgia OOC was not enough of a challenge? BYU will not be an easy out; the Cougars could be favored coming into Autzen.

TENNESSEE at PITT - Pittsburgh, PA.

Josh Heupel  did a heck of a job in Knoxville last season. Pitt was the ACC champ. Chance to see former SC QB Slovis playing for the Panthers.

PENN STATE at AUBURN - Auburn, Alabama

James Franklin did beat Auburn in 2021 but never challenged for the B1G title and lost the bowl game. Yet, he scored a huge pay increase and and contract extension. It's only year 2 but Auburn HC Bryan Harsin is already on the hot seat, and he lost his starting QB to the Ducks.

MIAMI at TEXAS A+M - College Station, Texas

I expect A+M to roundly Gig Mario in College Station.

.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

FanDuel odds to win the 2022 Playoff.

1. Bama - +200

2. UGA - +350

3. OH ST - +550

4. Clemson - +1000

8.USC - +5000

9. Oregon - + 6000

Utah is not in the top 10. Only 4 teams have better than 30-1 odds to win the title. Looks like SSDD. Nice that Oregon plays Georgia in the regular season and Bama does not. It's a big field, 130 teams in theory, but Bama at +200 is probably worth a look-see?

2 top PAC teams playing 2 top SEC teams, what could go wrong? Truly love these high risk, high reward games. If the Utes and Ducks win they can reside in the top 10. Take care of business and their late season game will position one team for the CFP. 

Lose these games and there's still a chance for redemption if they run the table until their late season match up. Odds are the Utes and Ducks will be playing for the Fiesta and Alamo Bowls. But with these high stake games a victory certainly raises the expectation bar.

Thanks Jon for listing these potential big game matchups.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/24/2022 at 4:17 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Lose these games and there's still a chance for redemption

Exactly right, and why I'm glad the Ducks are playing this game; the Lanning connection is gravy. Beat the defending champ in the 1st game of the season? I'm more confident of the Ducks in this one than I was against Ohio State last season, A loss? Run the table the rest of the way and Oregon is in the CFP. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/24/2022 at 7:29 PM, 30Duck said:

Exactly right, and why I'm glad the Ducks are playing this game; the Lanning connection is gravy. Beat the defending champ in the 1st game of the season? I'm more confident of the Ducks in this one than I was against Ohio State last season, A loss? Run the table the rest of the way and Oregon is in the CFP. 

I'd be OK with this game if it was played in Athens with a return game played in Eugene. Just as I was fine with a H+H with Ohio State.

UGA rejected a H+H with Oregon. Plenty of Pac-12 and SEC teams have H+H series scheduled. Utah plays at Florida this season and Florida returns the favor with a game in SLC. UW just scheduled a H+H with TN. UCLA has a return game scheduled at LSU. Arizona has a H+H scheduled with Bama. CAL a H+H with Auburn. ETC.

13-0? No Pac-12 team has gone undefeated in conference since the Pac-10 went to the Pac-12. And Oregon has BYU OOC and 5 Pac-12 road games.

There is a difference between courage and foolishness.

On 1/24/2022 at 4:38 PM, Jon Joseph said:

There is a difference between courage and foolishness.

There is indeed. I don't see Oregon playing a "Neutral" game against Georgia being courageous, nor as I indicated previously, do I see the game as being foolish. No team has gone undefeated, but no USC on the schedule, might not even see them in the championship game; the team that could be there plays at Autzen this season. The Ducks have no business being in the CFP if they can't get through the Pac-12 gauntlet.

• Thumbs Up 1