Charles Fischer

First Time: Ducks Take Charge in Boulder

Press Release from Oregon Athletics

BOULDER, Colo. — Oregon finished with a season-best 12 steals and outscored Colorado 30-16 in the second half to give the Ducks a 66-51 road win.

How It Happened: Oregon struggled early and finished the first half at 38 percent shooting from the field. Turnovers and sloppy play got the Ducks behind as many as eight points in the half, with seven turnovers creating momentum and easy baskets for the Buffaloes. Jacob Young kept Oregon within striking distance, scoring 16 points in the first, connecting on six-of-nine field goals.

The Ducks looked to be heading into the break down a basket, but after a Quincy Guerrier offensive rebound, Young hit a three-pointer at the top of the key to give Oregon a one-point lead at the break.

"I thought we finished the half well and started the second half okay," said head coach Dana Altman. "I thought it was important to have that little push there. You don't want to go in down five or seven and have to battle back all second half. I thought it gave us a little bounce."

Oregon's second half got out to a positive start, creating easy baskets, and scoring in transition. By the 11:55 mark in the second, the Ducks had built a 49-43 lead. The positives would continue for the Ducks, who would go on a 9-0 run to push the lead to 11 points, a lead they would not relinquish. The half proved to be a dominate one for Oregon, who outscored Colorado 30-16. It was the first road win for the Ducks in series history.

"I don't get too high after a win or too low after a loss," said Altman. "When we've gotten beat here, the next thing we're thinking about was that we have to go beat Utah. It's been written but I haven't thought that much about it. I think the biggest thing is we have to move on."

Who Stood Out: Young led the team with 21 points and the Ducks improved to 4-0 when Young is the leading scorer. Will Richardson finished with a season-high five steals, one shy of his career-best. De'Vion Harmon also tied his season-high with three thefts.

Up Next: The Ducks continue the mountain road trip in Salt Lake City, taking on Utah on Saturday (5:30 p.m. PT, FS1).

JY 2.3

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

The 3 that Williams made from beyond halfcourt was epic, but this one by Young was potentially season saving. It was looking like another game in Boulder as the first half was ending, with the Ducks behind. But Young's shot put the Ducks ahead. It was the 10th lead change in the 1st half, there wouldn't be any lead changes in the second half. 

It was a great win to be sure. But, because Colorado is mediocre, it doesn't mean a lot itself. Without the inexplicable loss to the Buffs, the Ducks are in 3rd place by themselves, safely in the Bracket, and on a 9 game winning streak. As it is, they're still on the bubble.