Charles Fischer

Greatness and Weakness Emerge Early: A Budding Softball Superstar?

My friends, Coach Lombardi made mention of a freshman, Paige Sinicki, who stood above all and was challenging former starter Jaz Sievers-Williams for the shortstop position before the season.  Well, I was surprised to learn the the freshman was the starter.

So what does she do?  At her first at-bat...she hits a two-RBI single at two outs! I guess the Ol' Ball-Coach knows what she's doing!

"Greatness and weakness emerge early."

Kliethermes K’s 15 in 3-0 Win Over Ole Miss

FULLERTON, Calif. Makenna Kliethermes struck out 15 batters and allowed just one hit in No. 18 Oregon’s 3-0 season-opening win against Ole Miss Thursday night at Anderson Family Field.

“I thought Makenna threw an unbelievable game for us,” said coach Melyssa Lombardi. “She struck out 15 and really did a great job of taking care of business on the mound.”

How it Happened: Kliethermes struck out seven batters in row, setting down the side in order in the second and third innings, en route to matching her career high in strikeouts.

At the plate, Paige Sinicki came through with a two-out RBI single in the top of the first to give the Ducks a 2-0 lead. After Terra McGowan led off the game with a single, Allee Bunker hit into a fielder’s choice. After Bunker stole second, Hanna Delgado then chased her to third with a single to center field. Ariel Carlson was hit by a pitch to load the bases.

One out later, Sinicki came through in her first bat as a collegian by driving a pitch up the middle as both Bunker and Delgado came around to score.

Oregon added an insurance run in the sixth inning. With two outs, McGowan walked and Bunker singled. Delgado then delivered with her second hit on the night, a line drive single to right center, to score McGowan.

After Kliethermes’ no-hit bid was broken up by an infield single by the Rebels’ Bre Roper to lead off the top of the seventh, she walked Aynslie Furbush to bring the tying run to the plate. The junior from Wardsville, Mo., regrouped to strike out the next three Ole Miss batters to seal the victory.

“It was a lot of fun,” said Kliethermes. “My team had my back the whole time. It was just great to come out and start our season with a win.”

Noteworthy: Sinicki went 2-for-4 with two RBIs and a stolen base in her debut. Delgado and McGowan also had two hits on Thursday. Thursday was Oregon’s eighth-straight season-opening win. Both Oregon and Ole Miss were NCAA Regional finalists last season. Oregon scored all three of its runs with two outs. Last season, the Ducks scored 47.6 percent of their runs with two outs. Kliethermes’ 15 strikeouts were the most by a Duck since Brooke Yanez fanned 15 against Oregon State on April 1, 2021.

Quotable

Head Coach Melyssa Lombardi

“I thought they stayed poised. I could feel a little nerves. It was our first game, but I liked how they stayed poised and they did enough. Three runs was the number that we needed tonight and we got it.”

On Deck: Oregon traverses to Northridge, Calif., to face CSUN in a doubleheader starting at noon on Friday (ESPN+).

And Lombardi says Sinicki is fearless when fielding...

Coronado shortstop Paige Sinicki (12) jumps for a Basic line drive during  their softball game a … | Las Vegas Review-Journal

• Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

Oh my, she could be another Nikki Udria. I didn't think it was possible for the Ducks to come up with another shortstop as talented as Udria, and this is only the first game, but a very impressive debut. 

I wish we could have been able to watch it. Had to keep track of stats on the internet. These athletes need more media exposure, but it's still unfortunate that female sports still has way too little coverage. I find that female athletes, imho, hustle more as they have a lot more to prove in order to be fully appreciated.