Charles Fischer

Bats Come Alive as Ducks Sweep Cal State Northridge

NORTHRIDGE, Calif. – Oregon’s pitching staff continued to impress, while the offense awakened in the second game of the Ducks’ doubleheader sweep of CSUN Friday at Matador Diamond.

Jordan Dail overcame a rocky start to pitch the Ducks to a 9-3 win in the opener. The offense erupted in the nightcap as home runs from Ariel Carlson and Tehya Bird powered Oregon (3-0) to a 16-0, five-inning, victory over the Matadors (0-3).

“Little bit of a slow start and you can see as the game went along we picked it up,” said head coach Melyssa Lombardi. “I liked the amount of runs that we scored in the last inning of the first game and I felt that inning just took us right into the next game.”

How it Happened (Game 1): Dail (1-0) allowed base hits to the first two CSUN batters but retired the next three Matadors to keep CSUN off the board. She allowed only one more hit, a two-run homer in the sixth. Dail had six strikeouts and walked just one in six innings to keep CSUN at bay until the Ducks pulled away with five runs in the top of the seventh.

At the plate, Terra McGowan set a career high with four hits, including a career-best three doubles. Jasmine Williams, making her first appearance since the 2020 season, went 2-for-3 with two RBI and scored two runs. Freshman Paige Sinicki added three hits, while Hannah Galey had two.

How it Happened (Game 2): After a slow start at the plate in game one, the Ducks got on the board early and often, scoring 14 runs in the first three innings.

In the seven-run second, both Ariel Carlson and Tehya Bird smashed two-run home runs out to left field. Carlson went 3-for-4 with three RBIs.

Sinicki and Williams were productive at the plate for the second straight game. Sinicki only had one hit, but scored three times and drove in two runs. She also stole two bases. Williams went 1-for-3 with three RBIs.

The Oregon Ducks take on the Arizona State Sun Devils at Jane Sanders Stadium in Eugene, Oregon on May 10, 2019 (Samuel Marshall/Eric Evans Photography)

Hanna Delgado and Vallery Wong also had two hits in Oregon’s season-high 15-hit attack.

Noteworthy: Freshman Stevie Hansen made her season debut in the circle in game two and struck out seven in three innings pitched to earn the win. Raegan Breedlove struck out two over the final two innings to preserve the shutout. The 16 runs were the most scored by the Ducks since had 16 against Portland State on March 7, 2021. McGowan’s four hits were the most by a Duck since Allee Bunker had four at Oklahoma State on Feb., 29, 2020.

Quotable

Head Coach Melyssa Lombardi

“We need to start games the way we’re finishing games.”

On Deck: Oregon’s tour of greater Los Angeles concludes Saturday. The Ducks will face UC San Diego in a neutral site game at Loyola Marymount at 9 a.m., followed by a game at LMU the Lions at 11:30 a.m.

• Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

When I read the headline I immediately thought of a night game and flying creatures 

Still got football on my mind 

• Haha 2

This is finally Coach Lombardi's team.  All the players are ones she selected and brought in.  It feels to me that we can go far with this group of young ladies, and that this is our new beginning to softball greatness.

Now if they would only televise or stream more of them...

Cat Please GIF by Atinum

• Haha 1