Charles Fischer

Unbelievable: Ducks Down 6-1 in 7th, Come Back to WIN!

The discussion below among Duck fans is superb and I will post the official press release later when it comes out, as it is bound to be TASTY.  Some highlights...

Never in Oregon Baseball History: The EIGHTH GAME in a row with multiple homers as Colby Shade, Josiah Cromwick and Tanner Smith hit bombs to help bring the Our Beloved Ducks back!

The Win went to:  Dylan Sabia  The Save went to: Kolby Somers

Oregon was down 6-1 going into the bottom of the 7th inning, and then added two runs, and then exploded for four runs in the eight as Somers held off the Trojans in the 9th inning.

Caleb Sloan was blasted for five runs in the first inning with only one given up by relievers after that.  The Ducks got 6 and 2/3rds innings of scoreless hitting against our relievers, and of that Logan Mercado did 3.2 innings of it.  His growth is SO SURPRISING considering he was not a very good pitcher last year.  Great coaching!

My Friends, these Ducks are fun to watch!  Never give up!

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Guest Axel

The Ducks are losing 6-1 going into the bottom of the second inning.

Starting pitcher Caleb Sloan (3.48 ERA, 2.03 WHIP) had a horrendous first inning, walking the first two batters, and giving up 5 runs. His ERA and WHIP will balloon after this poor outing. 

Tommy Brandenburg (8.25 ERA) is on in relief. He started the second inning and gave up one run. 

The Ducks will likely need to score at least 10 runs to win this rubber game of the series. It's possible; they have an explosive offense. The big question, of course, is whether Oregon's relievers can silence the USC bats. 

Guest Axel

The Ducks go down in order in the bottom of the second. After two innings, the score remains USC 6, Oregon 1. 

Guest Axel

USC threatens but doesn't score in the top of the 3rd. The Ducks also threaten but don't score in the bottom of the frame. 

USC             5       1       0

Oregon        1       0       0 

Going into the top of the 4th, the bad guys lead, 6-1.

Guest Axel

Through 4 innings, the score remains. The Ducks trail, 6-1. 

Guest Axel

The Ducks load the bases with one out in the bottom of the fifth, and then hit into an inning-ending double play.

Through 5 innings, Oregon is still losing, 6-1.

Guest Axel

USC is retired quickly on a handful of pitches. Here come the Ducks!

It's the bottom of the 6th and we're quickly running out of innings. Ducks need a 5-spot to tie this baby. 

Guest Axel

The Ducks get a zilch-spot in the 6th and continue to trail, 6-1.

Oregon did get a man to third, and no, he did not receive a dipper of beer when he arrived there. (That's an ancient rule, when the game had lots of character, but baseballs had all the liveliness of a rock.)

Guest Axel

Colby Shade hits a two-run home run for the Ducks in the bottom of the 7th and cuts the USC lead to 6-3.

It's on to the 8th with the Ducks trailing by just 3.

Guest Axel

You can feel the momentum shift. That could turn the tide. This game has turned into a chess match. You couldn’t have written a better script. It’s crunch time.

It's a whole new ballgame. The Ducks have scratched and clawed their way back into the game. It’s a real pressure cooker. It’s nip and tuck. The Ducks have their backs up against the wall. Time is of the essence. They have to really suck it up. There’s no tomorrow. We’ll have to see who wants it more.

The Ducks need to get their bats going this inning. These teams are going at it like a couple of heavyweights. It’s gut-check time.

This may have never been said before, but it seems to me that baseball is a game of inches. 

Guest Axel

And just like that, the game is tied! 

Josiah Cromwick launches a 3-run rocket over the left-field fence. It's 6-6! Ducks are still batting with two outs in the 8th inning

Edited by Axel

Guest Axel

And now another home run! Ducks lead USC, 7-6!

Guest Axel

Tanner Smith hit the second home run in the inning for the Ducks, a 418-foot blast over the right-field fence.

Guest Axel

This may have never been said before, but this is a seesaw affair. The Ducks go into the 9th, now leading USC, 7-6. 

The Ducks get 4 runs in the eighth inning on those two long home runs by Cromwick and Smith. Can the Ducks bullpen get the save? Stay tuned!

Guest Axel

Ducks win, 7-6!

Nice comeback for our Ducks to take the series.

Thank you Axel for your reporting on the game!

• Thanks 1

Guest Axel

This may have never been said before, but this game was one for the ages.

Kolby Somers retired the Trojans in order in the 9th.

The Ducks scored a total of 6 runs in the 7th and 8th innings.

Today was the eighth consecutive game in which the Ducks hit multiple home runs.

The Ducks have won the weekend series over the Trojans, two games to one. 

From Coach Was:  (Courtesy of 247)

“That's one of the learning lessons of the day is you play nine a game for the reason that it's nine innings,” said head coach Mark Wasikowski after the game. “If the game ended after two then I guess we lose and we can go home and feel bad about ourselves. Because we had some perseverance and they stuck with it and I credit coach (Jack) Marder for that. I think he brought a lot of energy, especially when we needed it and he did a great job preparing those guys we got some very good swings are obviously late in the game and broke down a bullpen guy that that's very, very good for USC.”

“Player of the day,” said Wasikowski regarding Logan Mercado’s efforts. “We had a bad start. We had a bad first guy up and boy just it could have really gotten away from us, had Logan not done what he did. He came in he threw the ball over the plate. He had multiple pitches for strikes and he brought a mentality that the became infectious in the dugout. And as he continued to pound the strike zone. You could just feel a little bit more energy, a little bit more energy, a little bit more momentum. And it was all Logan Mercado today.”

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Guest Axel
On 3/27/2022 at 4:14 PM, Charles Fischer said:

we got some very good swings

Getting very good swings was the key to winning the game, down by 3 in the 8th inning. Two very good swings by Josiah Cromwick and Tanner Smith knocked in the four runs that downed USC.

Joey Mac said something very strange on the telecast, when the Ducks put the first two men on base in the 8th. He said that the bunt was in order. This made no sense to me, since statistically a team scores just one run with men on second and third and one out, which would have been the scenario after a bunt. Even if the Ducks had scored two runs by implementing the bunt strategy, they would have still trailed by a run going into the 9th.

Mac's play-by-play partner offered no help in rebutting the dopey idea. These two are clearly not astute baseball minds, and it's too bad that Duck fans can't learn the nuances of the game from more knowledgeable broadcasters.

If the game had been tied in the 8th inning with two men on, a bunt would have been the right move. The bunt has its place in baseball, no question. But it is not a strategy for scoring multiple runs in an inning. Coach Waz understood that the Ducks needed a big inning to prevail. I'm guessing that laying down a bunt in the 8th inning was the last thing on his mind.

On 3/27/2022 at 5:41 PM, Axel said:

I'm guessing that laying down a bunt in the 8th inning was the last thing on his mind.

You made me LOL!  Agreed, as I don't think he believes in a Sacrifice Fly.  (We have good hitters...he is thinking)

Yep, the play-by-play can call the game well, but I don't learn much from them.  Or when they make a strategy call--they don't explain why.

Mr. FishDuck

WOOT!!!!!!!

Wow! Wow! Wow! Had to leave for a dinner last night and didn't get in till late. When I left, the score was 6-1 USC, and it didn't look good for the Ducks. Just had time to get online  to check out the score and what a great surprise! Love this Duck team. Go Ducks!