Charles Fischer

It Has Been Decided Which Side of the Ball DJ Johnson Will Play...

Well, I love the quotes and reasons why...but I would have him on the other side of the ball!

default.png
247SPORTS.COM

D.J. Johnson impressing both coaches and players early on in spring camp

Mr. FishDuck

Can anyone summarize the report.  All.I could see was requests to pay.

• Thumbs Up 1

The next thread on players excited about not getting a loaded box has information about DJ Johnson.  Article is from Duckwire.  No paywall.  😁

I don't understand, because when I use an incognito window--I can see it.  Oh well...we need a replacement for Thibs, and DJ needs to make the most of this year--so this works for all parties.

---------------------------------------------------

Against Ohio State on September 11, 2021, Johnson had one of the most remarkable few minutes you can imagine for a college football player. Johnson wearing No. 12, on offense, caught a crucial third-down pass, as a tight end, with 2:41 remaining in the game to give Oregon a chance to ice the game. As a defensive lineman, Johnson ended the game with a sack of CJ Stroud a few minutes later.

Johnson finished the year playing both sides of the ball, finishing with 11 tackles, two tackles for loss, and one sack.

Those events lead us to this year and the revolving door: where is DJ Johnson playing this season? New defensive coordinator Tosh Lupoi has the answer.

"I know DJ (Johnson) was doing kind of a lot of things and sharing both duties and playing tight end and after evaluating the film, as to the day we decided to take this job, that was certainly going to change, in my opinion," said Lupoi on Thursday. "As long as the head coach signed off of that, I wanted DJ to play defense. So I think he's got the right mindset mentality. Obviously, having to share duties and play both ways and stuff, there's going to be some stuff that we got to improve with him. And I've been really impressed by how he's attacked the process, especially the mental aspect of the defense and the concentration to go get better. You know, this guy is on a mission to improve every day, that's obvious to me."

So far, in spring practice, Johnson, faithful to Lupoi's words, has been lining up with the defensive ends/outside linebackers. He has slimmed down noticeably and looks to be ready to make his impression known.

"As far as what I'm asked to do (with the new defense) it's to play how I play," said Johnson on Thursday.

Johnson has certainly made his presence known to other members of the outside linebacker group, including projected starter Bradyn Swinson.

"DJ Johnson," said Swinson about who is standing out so far. "He was at tight end the last few years, know he's transitioning back. It's like he hasn't missed a step. DJ came back fast, motor is fast, fast-twitch, fast get off, everything is fast. He's out there working. He's out there trying to outwork anybody running to the ball, and I'm just excited. I'm excited to see that."

Johnson will be wearing No. 2 this season, lining up on defense but admits that "everything is a possibility" on where he could play for the 2022 season.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 4/4/2022 at 5:46 PM, Smith72 said:

Can anyone summarize the report.  All.I could see was requests to pay.

He is working with the outside linebackers/defensive ends to very positive reviews. They want him to focus on one position this year and not go both ways. Otherwise recaps his career so far.

Edit: I think three of us answered with in a few minutes! Charles, I can see it too, but I had to click a second link after the one that was posted. Seems like it's just a confusing set up to find the actual article.

Edited by Viking Duck
  • Thumbs Up 1

He is certainly an inspirational player.

On 4/4/2022 at 6:06 PM, Viking Duck said:

Charles, I can see it too, but I had to click a second link after the one that was posted. Seems like it's just a confusing set up to find the actual article.

Yep, but that is how 247 set it up...even then...two clicks for a good article is worth it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck