30Duck

OT: 2001 Mariners, Historic or Historic Flop

I was excited, it's Opening Day, but the Mariners and Twins were rained out. The Mariners have a chance to do something this season, which of course takes me back to 2001, when they really did do something!

116 wins, led MLB in most runs scored and fewest runs allowed. Ichiro led the league in batting, won the Rookie of the Year and MVP. But, at the end, all the Mariners accomplished was a win in the first round of the playoffs, If they had gone onto win the World Series the 2001 Mariners would have rock solid claim to being the greatest baseball team in history. Instead, a huge choke!

I watched every game I could that year. Was awesome to follow.

The thing that stands out most was Jamie Moyer, the guy who's fastest ball traveled between 85-88 mph somehow dominated that year.

Then the freakin' Yankees ruined it all.

Guest Axel

The woeful Seattle Mariners are the only major league baseball team that has never appeared in a World Series. The baseball gods, not normally known for joviality, obviously take great delight in denying the M's a ticket to the Fall Classic year after year.

Why would the baseball gods have it in for Seattle? For that answer, one needs to travel only a few short miles from T-Mobile Park to that malodorous cesspool that doubles as the University of Washington campus.

As long as those thoroughly disagreeable Huskies occupy the tiniest piece of land in Seattle, the Mariners are doomed. The baseball gods surely hate the Huskies, too.

On 4/7/2022 at 3:09 PM, Axel said:

As long as those thoroughly disagreeable Huskies occupy the tiniest piece of land in Seattle, the Mariners are doomed. The baseball gods surely hate the Huskies, too.

There has to be a correlation between the proximities of the Huskies and the Pro teams in Seattle.  The M's, the only team to never play in the WS had the chance to be the Greatest Team Ever, and instead become the greatest chokers ever. The Sonics did win a championship, but don't exist anymore. The Seahawks could have, I say should have, been back to back SB Champs but for a ridiculous pass that was intercepted!.

On 4/7/2022 at 3:09 PM, Axel said:

malodorous cesspool that doubles as the University of Washington campus.

Axel, I do not know how you come up with such great material...but when it comes to humor....your mind must be a raging torrent...  

Mr. FishDuck