Charles Fischer

Yeah--BABY! Diamond Ducks Now RANKED Between No. 10 to No. 23 in Polls

It was bound to happen, and let's enjoy this journey.  We play at Portland Tuesday at 5:00 PM, and we still have eight of nine starters hitting over .300!  Crazy!

7GQPIZAQRVAVFB67KBJFXH7DAA.jpg
WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

The Ducks (24-11, 10-5 Pac-12) are No. 10 in Collegiate Baseball and Baseball America, No. 12 in Perfect Game, No. 20 in D1baseball.com, No. 22 in the National Collegiate Baseball...

• Thanks 1

Mr. FishDuck

Enjoy this team my FishDuck Friends, as an Oregon Baseball team has never hit like this before....whew!

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

The Ducks were never like this during the first go round, before the program was dumped by the University...

I grew up around former Duck Dave Roberts (Ten seasons as a pro third baseman), before his family moved from Pleasant Hill to Corvallis, where he finished his HS career.

Edited by woundedknees

What Coach Waz has done with the baseball team is nothing short of amazing!

• Thumbs Up 1

Guest Axel
On 4/19/2022 at 12:40 PM, 30Duck said:

What Coach Waz has done with the baseball team is nothing short of amazing!

Mark Wasikowski is such a tremendous coaching upgrade over George Horton. Ducks baseball is now watchable again. In the last four years under Horton, the Ducks finished eighth twice and ninth twice in the Pac-12. 

It bears repeating that Horton's record against the Huskies was an abysmal 14-22. During his tenure, Washington outscored Oregon 191 to 124, a negative-67 run differential. His record in series versus Washington was a horrid 3-8-1.

By contrast, Coach Waz is 6-0 against Washington and the Ducks have outscored the Huskies 43-20 in those games.

Imagine, Horton's teams were outscored by 67 runs by the Ducks' most detestable rival. Yet, Horton pranced around boasting about his "brilliant" bunting mindset and way too many brainless media sycophants actually praised Horton's baseball "genius." 

We now see in very stark terms, the utter idiocy of Horton's bunting game--a strategy that gives away precious outs and takes at-bats away from your players. If you want to undermine the confidence of your hitters, make them bunt all of the time. Anyone with any baseball acumen knows how important it is for hitters to have confidence and to see as many pitches as possible over the course of a season. Horton ignored all of this. 

The Ducks' weakness this season is pitching, but I have every confidence that Coach Waz will correct this going forward. He'll be able to recruit some great starters and relievers because he can promise pitching recruits that they'll have ample run support. 

I have no doubt that Horton lost out on many pitching recruits, because they didn't want to pitch for a school that had trouble scoring runs. Thank goodness that those days are over, and many thanks to Coach Wasikowski for bringing sanity, excitement, and sound baseball sense to Oregon Ducks baseball.

On 4/19/2022 at 1:25 PM, Axel said:

Yet, Horton pranced around boasting about his "brilliant" bunting mindset and way too many brainless media sycophants actually praised Horton's baseball "genius." 

This makes me think of long time Baltimore Orioles coach, Earl Weaver. Earl didn't play small ball and wasn't considered a "Genius". But the Orioles won, and they did it by scoring a lot of runs and having the pitching. In 1971, the Orioles became the first team since the 1920 White Sox to have 4 20 game winners, Jim Palmer, Dave McNally, Mike Cuellar and Pat Dobson. 

On 4/19/2022 at 1:25 PM, Axel said:

He'll be able to recruit some great starters and relievers because he can promise pitching recruits that they'll have ample run support. 

Oh baby....if you are a pitcher....can you imagine how much better your win/loss record will be with these hitters behind you?  Whew!

Horton could not see what

was in front of his face...

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

Guest Axel
On 4/19/2022 at 1:42 PM, 30Duck said:

Earl didn't play small ball and wasn't considered a "Genius".

I respectfully disagree. I consider Weaver one of the smartest managers in baseball history and worthy of being called a genius. I followed his Baltimore Orioles closely and rooted against them, since I was--and still am--a Detroit Tigers fan. 

zh8i7yiwo40aiqjgmi1g.jpg
WWW.MLB.COM

The Official Site of Major League Baseball

On 4/19/2022 at 2:59 PM, Axel said:

I respectfully disagree.

I am happy to see this article, glad to see that my perception of Earl was a bit outside. I didn't follow the Orioles very much, definitely was rooting for the Mets in '69. My thought was based on the thought's I picked up on that Weaver was fine with getting hits, preferably home runs and winning that way, rather than constructing an offense with his:"genius"

On the Tigers, I was a fan when they got off to the great start in 1984 and ended up beating the Padres, and of course, Mickey Lolich is from Portland!

Guest Axel
On 4/19/2022 at 3:41 PM, 30Duck said:

and of course, Mickey Lolich is from Portland!

I had the good fortune and great delight to meet Mickey's parents in 1994 at the Nob Hill Bar & Grill in Northwest Portland. I shared a table with them as we watched a replay of game 7 of the 1968 World Series, when Lolich, on two days' rest, bested the legendary Bob Gibson. Unfortunately, Mickey was not there--he was busy running his doughnut shop back in Michigan! Lolich won games 2, 5, and 7 of that Series, all complete games. 

The '68 Tigers are my favorite team of all time. They provided lots of come-from-behind thrills that season, pitcher Denny McLain won 31 games, and the Tigers roared back to win that year's World Series after falling behind 3 games to 1. 

In 1969 Earl Weaver's Orioles displaced the Tigers as American League champions, winning 109 games, but losing to the Miracle Mets in 5 games in the World Series.