Pennsylvania Duck

Kirby Smart: Thoughts on Georgia, Oregon Season Opener

It's good to see Kirby Smart and Dan Lanning have mutual respect for each other.

XIF6J4CANBM27ZATLY2UL5RJUQ.JPG
WWW.DAWGNATION.COM

Georgia football coach Kirby Smart likes opening the season against Oregon.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 7/25/2022 at 6:24 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

It's good to see Kirby Smart and Dan Lanning have mutual respect for each other.

XIF6J4CANBM27ZATLY2UL5RJUQ.JPG
WWW.DAWGNATION.COM

Georgia football coach Kirby Smart likes opening the season against Oregon.

Absolutely! I’m a little bit biased bc I’m a big CDL fan, but I’m confident that he is a future star in the HCing world.  I hated to see him leave UGA, but I’m also happy he is getting a great opportunity.  I think the Ducks hit it outta the park in hiring Lanning.  

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 7/25/2022 at 7:17 PM, cartm25 said:

Apparently the Ducks are a "set-up" game for the SEC gauntlet.

There's some bulletin board material for the locker room.

I guess you can read that one of two ways...I took it as a compliment regarding the talent that Oregon has...basically saying the Ducks are built like a top tier SEC team.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/25/2022 at 4:29 PM, DCDuckfan said:

I guess you can read that one of two ways...I took it as a compliment regarding the talent that Oregon has...basically saying the Ducks are built like a top tier SEC team.

This is how I take it as well. I believe Kirby is saying that playing Oregon sets them up for taking on SEC teams, rather than an opening game against a cupcake that wouldn't be any competition at all. 

On 7/25/2022 at 7:29 PM, DCDuckfan said:

I agree, I think it’s more of a compliment.

As a Dawg fan, I’ll say that Sept. 3 isn’t the only game at the moment I’m concerned about but it’s definitely the one I’m the most worried about.  And not just bc it’s the next game.  

Top 3 reason I’m a little worried….

1- It’s the first game. I’m not exactly sure what to expect from either side.

2- The Ducks are very talented and I believe will be very well coached.  

3- If UGA loses to the Ducks it leaves no room for error.  I don’t care how good you are, it’s very hard to win 14 games in a row.  

My point is, if the Ducks win this game, it will not be bc UGA took them lightly.  The Dawgs will be as prepared and as ready as they can possibly be. 

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/25/2022 at 4:49 PM, SoGaDawg said:

My point is, if the Ducks win this game, it will not be bc UGA took them lightly.  

I think is a clear + for Smart over Ryan Day. I don't think Ohio State took Oregon seriously last year. Georgia has handled Lanning to Oregon with class from Day 1. It's very likely that another team would have tossed Lanning under the bus and said that the game against Oregon will be a laugher with their  hand me down coach. 

• Thumbs Up 1