Charles Fischer

Quotes From Dan Lanning About the Offensive Performance

My FishDuck Friends, this is an experiment because usually you have a ton of articles in the 'Feed with all these quotes, and I wanted to bring them down here for discussion.

On his feelings after the offenses performance…

“Ecstatic. I asked our group [the OL] if they could have a 14 minute drive there at the end of the quarter, we didn't, in fact we actually had a turnover. But that being said, I’m really proud of us. We wanted to walk away and create an identity and we’re certainly not satisfied, but we want to find a way to create explosive plays and I think we found some of those today. I think when we go back and look at the film I think you’re going to see some explosive plays, not because the plays were outstanding but because of the outstanding effort. That’s what we’re really looking for: outstanding effort from our players.”

On the tempo of the game..

“We want to dictate the tempo, we don’t want the people to dictate the tempo to us, right? Part of that is based off success, when you have successful plays you can go fast, but I think you also can see we have the ability as an offense to slow it down at times and that keeps a defense guessing, makes it really hard for the other team to prepare. We want to be able to play fast, when we want to play fast and we want to be able to slow it down when we want to. I thought Kenny (Dillingham) and the offense staff did a really great job of that today"

On the team’s efficiency…

“It goes back again to the way you work in practice, having a really good detailed plan. We identified some things that we thought we could have success on earlier on the week, i give credit to our offensive staff for finding some stuff and we said if they don't adjust to this in certain ways, then it’s going to be successful and we’re going to do it until they stop us and I think that’s what you saw today. We were going to run some stuff and do some things until we weren’t able to. That’s two game plans put together when it goes the way you think it's going to go, what we have to figure out now is when it doesn't look the right way, are we able to adapt and grow.”

On the confidence to go for it on fourth down at your own 30…

“It was a lot of fun for me during this game. We talk about certain situations as a team in front of the entire team. So those decisions are made far away from the field before we get out there. There was one point in the game where Noah Sewell comes up to me when we were on offense and says ‘Coach, why didn’t we go for it there, I thought we’d go for it’, so I told him no, we’re taking the points here.

Our guys understand our mentality and what we’re going to do. A lot of those decisions are made before we ever get there. That happens in our staff meeting and pregame meeting before we ever arrive at that moment. Every one of our coaches had confidence in our players to go execute and every one of our players had confidence in the plan.”

On the execution at the end of the first half being a pivotal moment…

“I don’t know about pivotal, but that’s what you hope might play out whenever you defer in the first, where you might get to steal an extra possession and then turn around and get the ball to start the second half. We wanted to come out strong there at the beginning of the second and did a good job there early in the third quarter, and were able to punch it in

• Cool 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck