Charles Fischer

BYU Head Coach Kalani Sitake: 'They Are Ranked For a Reason'

The quotes from the two head coaches come from Oregon's Press Release sent to credentialed media such as FishDuck, and thus I thought I would pass it along as it will save you a ton of reading elsewhere.

From Coach Kalani Sitake:

“Obviously not the result we were looking for, but you have to give a lot of credit to Oregon. They showed up ready to play, more than we did, especially at the beginning. I did not have this team ready, so that is on me. We have to figure out ways to start better, start faster. We dug ourselves too much in a hole to climb out of, and the momentum, all of that stuff that is on me and the staff."

"We made a lot of mistakes, but I do not want to take anything away from Oregon. They played a great game. They played exactly like we thought they could. They have tons of athleticism and speed on their team, and they are a great team."

"They are ranked for a reason, and they definitely should climb up the rankings. We even saw that. I mentioned this before; we saw some of the things that were working well against them in the Georgia game."

On the BYU defense and Oregon’s offense…

“We just could not get off the field. We could not do much to them in terms of stopping the run. You know, we were down a couple of guys on defense, but that is all right. We feel like we have some great depth. They just could not settle in. The guys made a lot of mistakes. You have to give credit to Oregon because they did some things differently on offense utilizing personnel."

"They utilized a lot of empty sets; they went big and went a lot of spread sets. We were ready for that in practice, but it seems like whenever we made a mistake, Bo Nix and the offense capitalized on it. When you are just looking at scheme, that is how it works, but we were just missing tackles, and that is honestly just not our type of play."

"We had a lot of players that were missing tackles from top to bottom, and it was not one person or position that did it. That is my fault; I have to get these guys better and make sure we focus on the fundamentals of the game. I keep mentioning the fundamentals, and they play a big part in the success for us, and we just did not do it well enough on defense.”

Mr. FishDuck

After a win like this I think OBD will jump up to somewhere around #18 in the AP.