NJDuck

Canzano: Pac-12 Not Buying What Big 12 is Selling

Ugh, wake me when this is all over and there are actual announcements made. 

Taking emotion out of the current situation, this (to me at least) an insanely interesting problem/scenario from a business POV. 

Why?  Because the problem is fundamentally one of sequencing/timing which is a question heavily influenced by one’s ability to correctly project the future value/power of new streaming media entities.  The beta is pretty large and similar questions have broken some (Larry Scott and his execution of the PAC 12 Network) and made others (Jobs betting on the iMac when he came back to Apple). 

George K consistently strikes me as a pretty savvy guy and I think he is showing that here in his approach.

His B12 counterpart seems to view the scenario’s best answer to be that what comes from ESPN/Fox today is greater than any value the streaming platforms can provide tomorrow.  Ergo, act now and reduce his rival conference’s future media revenue take.  

George K seems to think the opposite or, at least in the parlance of Texas Holdem, is willing to call a sizable bet behind him in order to get more information.

For whatever you think of him, you really have to admire his strategy chops and sangfroid.  

No idea who will be right but I bet this starts showing up in business schools several years from now. 

• Thumbs Up 1