Charles Fischer

A Tribute to Gar Pearson....

I lost a good friend recently, Gar (Garland) Pearson to Brain Cancer after battling lung cancer for so many years.  My joke with him was, "Gar....most of what I know about Oregon Baseball I blame on you!" 

He knew Baseball so well, and we had great fun watching games together from the "Fowl" Territory at PK Park while enjoying a tasty Oregon IPA Craft Beer.  We had a blast talking about our Ducks during the live-stream of games--and his depth of knowledge was so helpful.

In his youth--he flew fighter jets with the National Guard, and played semi-pro baseball until an injury ended a promising career as he was moving up due to his savvy understanding of the game.

At FishDuck...he wrote Baseball articles for us until his illness made it hard for him and you can see a listing right here.  He will be missed and was loved by many; Rest in Peace my Oregon Friend...

Gar2.jpg

• Like 3

Mr. FishDuck

For you, Gar

RIP Gar! 

Thank you Charles for posting this tribute to Gar Pearson.  Some of my best memories of Duck fandom come from the early 2010's as UO resumed varsity baseball in 2009.  One of my former co-workers is a huge baseball fan and a fellow Duck Fanatic, and together we followed Ducks Baseball in the Spring of each year, finding a nice compliment to our shared fascination with what was happening with Ducks Football.  Due to conflicting work schedules, we were never able to make it to any games in person, but spent hours following the games at work via radio whenever a game was broadcast.

During these years I found FishDuck, and in Baseball season tremendously enjoyed the writings of Gar.  I followed the link you posted Charles, to find Gar's archive, and have enjoyed re-reading some of his work.  In so many ways, he is like a poet in his treatment of the game and PK Park.  Here's the one I re-read this morning:  Duck Baseball and Clam Chowder Magna Cum Laude!

I too am missing Gar, and although I never knew him personally, I enjoyed the look into his heart he shared with each article.

Thank you Gar!!

Olcodgerduck....it is posts like yours that make all the hours of work so worthwhile--to know they are appreciated.  I loved him as so many did..."all I know about Oregon baseball I blame on him!"  😄

• Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

38 minutes ago, olcodgerduck said:

Here's the one I re-read this morning:

They no longer have that Clam Chowder, and WOW it had such great herbs and spices in it--so delicious and on a cold day?  Perfect.

Now the foot-long ALL-BEEF hot dog is still there, (when spectators can return) and they had some of my favorite Oregon Craft Beers in the FOWL Territory.  And yes...they are expensive, but it supports Oregon Baseball and you don't do it every day--so have some tasty sipping.  Gar and I enjoyed some good innings and refreshments there, and other times I met some wonderful fellow Duck fans.

Reading that article reminds me of how I must cherish the moments when I can be in PK Park once again watching Our Beloved Ducks.

PK Park.jpg

• Like 1

Mr. FishDuck