cartm25

When Will The Defense Rise?

I see a lot of heat aimed at Dillingham after this game, but I saw nothing but amazing things from the offense.

We were all preparing ourselves to gloat about an 11-minute touchdown drive to seal the win against UW until a bad snap and a fluke injury.

Outside of the GA game, KD has been a maestro.

We are 10 games in, and I’ve not seen a noticeable improvement on defense. I realize Lanning didn’t give himself the defensive “genius” title, but I’ve heard it applied to him enough by national and local media, that I expect him to get that side of the ball figured out. At LEAST improve it some, right!?

How about ONE 3-and-out!!? Just ONE!

How about consistent pressure on the opposing QB? Hell, I’ll settle for semi- consistent.

How about a SPECK of “havoc”?

How about not having to bite my nails when the Ducks’ defense is facing a 3rd and 15+ to get off the field?

I noticed Nick Aliotti watching from the end zone. HE would have come up with a way to create some havoc.

I don’t particularly like James Crepea’s reporting, but his last question to Lanning was on point and brutal, paraphrasing:

”Dan, with the defense having season-long issues . . . 3rd downs, lack of pass rush, deep passes . . . What is there to see in film now that these have been issues all season?”

Dan Lanning: “We’ll have to look. We’re playing with the same group and same scheme.”

😲

It’s pretty obvious our defense looks as predictable as last years offense. Hard to beat teams with good coaches when our defense refuses to change. Utah will probably do the same thing to us.

On 11/12/2022 at 8:02 PM, Just Ducky said:

It’s pretty obvious our defense looks as predictable as last years offense. Hard to beat teams with good coaches when our defense refuses to change. Utah will probably do the same thing to us.

Isn't that ironic?  We finally get a defensive-minded HC, and our defense takes a step back, without guys like KT to shoulder the load.

Is it just a matter of DL and Lupoi getting the players they need to run the SEC-like type of defense or are they calling an ultra conservative game, which doesn't put our players in a position to make a play on the ball?  They are always start lined up, too far away to make a play on the ball.  I don't know if its due to poor instincts or running the zone defense. By the time they react, the receiver or back is flying past them.

Edited by DuckIt
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/12/2022 at 7:46 PM, cartm25 said:

I see a lot of heat aimed at Dillingham after this game, but I saw nothing but amazing things from the offense.

He is not without fault.  They couldn't stop the Ducks' running game.  KD didn't need to resort to trickery, just ram the ball down their throats and we would have won.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/12/2022 at 11:12 PM, DuckIt said:

Isn't that ironic?  We finally get a defensive-minded HC, and our defense takes a step back, without guys like KT to shoulder the load.

Is it just a matter of DL and Lupoi getting the players they need to run the SEC-like type of defense or are they calling an ultra conservative game, which doesn't put our players in a position to make a play on the ball?  They are always start lined up, too far away to make a play on the ball.  I don't know if its due to poor instincts or running the zone defense. By the time they react, the receiver or back is flying past them.

Reminds me a little of Bob Stoops. He was a defensive coach and the DC for Spurrier when the Gators won the title in 1996. His long tenure at OU wasn't known for defense. Being a defensive coach is not the same as being the head coach.

On 11/12/2022 at 8:14 PM, cartm25 said:

Hard to blame the DBs when opposing QBs have enough time to sit and roast marshmallows before launching downfield.

That's what I have been saying.  Lupoi and DL are rolling the dice and putting our DBs on an island on almost every throw.  And they are losing that those 1-1 battles most of the time.  

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/12/2022 at 8:25 PM, cartm25 said:

I’m not sure. But I’ll say this, if Dan Lanning’s “scheme” only works if the defensive line is made up of NFL 1st-rounders (like his GA team), then the Ducks are in trouble, at least defensively.

Well, the #1 DL recruit, David Hicks was at the game.  I don't know if the Ducks spoiled their chances of landing him with this loss.  He would have been a nice start.

On 11/12/2022 at 8:34 PM, cartm25 said:

If by “trickery” you are referring to the designed QB run Nix got hurt on, those have been a part of the offense all year. To keep defenses honest.

No, not only that play but the first time that they used spread formation and then later brought it back in.  It was meant to trip up the defense, but it ended up tripping up and confusing our offense which led to a fumble.

My point is that our RBs were moving the ball methodically down the field.  There was no reason to get cute.