Charles Fischer

Softball GAME Recaps From this Weekend...Two Wins!

Fresno State agreed to add a game, so the Ducks play the Bulldogs tonight at 6:00 PM and Sunday at 10:00 AM.  Not on TV, but you can watch the Live Stream and the Stats right here on GoDucks.com to stay up on their game.  

Mr. FishDuck

10-2 VICTORY!

Yanez with her first complete game (12k) of the season, and hitting lead by the freshman!

Edited by woundedknees

Ducks win second game vs the Bulldogs, 2-1. Raegan gets the win (1.08 era), Diaz with the save.

Ducks improve to 7-0 for the season!

Edited by woundedknees

A blow out and a nail biter, can't ask for more than that!

52 minutes ago, 30Duck said:

A blow out and a nail biter, can't ask for more than that!

Wow

Game One, a 10-2 Victory for Oregon:

FRESNO, Calif. –Brooke Yanez pitched a complete game, a 12-strikeout effort retiring the last 17 batters she faced overall. She got stronger as the game went on, striking out five of the final six she faced. 

Notable after Game One:
--Oregon has started 6-0 in all three years under head coach Melyssa Lombardi and five straight seasons dating back to 2017.
--Seven different Oregon players drove in the 10 runs while all nine starters recorded hits.
--Alyssa Brito went 3-for-4 with two runs scored, two RBIs, a triple and her first career home run. She’s had six hits in the last three games, going 6-for-9 over that stretch …
--Yanez struck out double-digit batters for the second straight game and has fanned at least eight in each of her three appearances.  She has 30 strikeouts to just three walks over 18 innings pitched on the season and her 12 strikeouts last night are the second-most she’s had in a single game in her Oregon career.
--Ariel Carlson turned in her second career three-hit game, going 3-for-4 with two runs scored and an RBI. 
--Lexi Wagner drove in multiple runs for the second straight game, finishing 2-for-3 with two RBIs and a run scored. 
--The Ducks now have 16 doubles on the season as a team after coming into the week tied for the national lead in two-baggers.

Game Two, a 2-1 Victory for Oregon:

FRESNO, Calif. – Oregon stayed perfect on the season behind yet another dominant pitching performance, while Haley Cruse saved the game with a diving catch with the tying run at second in the bottom of the seventh of a 2-1 win over Fresno State on Sunday. 

Raegan Breedlove got her second career start in the circle and turned in an efficient four innings of work to get the win. She recorded 10 of her 12 outs via ground ball and retired the Bulldogs in order in three of her four innings, only allowing the two base hits in the third inning. Samaria Diaz came out of the bullpen in the fifth and set down the first seven batters she faced, only running into trouble in the last before Cruse’s catch ended it.

Quotable: Head coach Melyssa Lombardi

On the pitching and defense…

“I loved how great our defense was. I really liked what Raegan did today – she was constantly ahead and let her defense play behind her. Having Samaria come in close the game out and get us in-and-out of innings, and then seeing Haley make the game-winning catch – that’s what it’s about. It’s about knowing that they’ve got each other’s backs and I thought they showed that today.”

OF Haley Cruse

On the confidence she has in the pitching staff…

“I felt pretty relaxed out there because our pitchers were dominating the whole game. I knew I wasn’t really getting it done at the plate so I wanted to pick the pitches up on defense as much as I could and they came through for us.”

RHP Samaria Diaz

On the play of the defense overall today…

“As a pitcher we know that our defense has our back and we have the hitters’ backs. Seeing Haley make that catch at the end shows that we always trust our defense.”

Notable after Game Two:

--Oregon is off to a 7-0 start for the second straight season and for the sixth time in school history.
--Ducks pitching combined to allow just five hits over 14 innings this weekend with 18 strikeouts and just two walks.
--Breedlove and last night’s starter Brooke Yanez combined to retire 24 straight Bulldog hitters between the end of Saturday’s game and the start of today’s.
--Ducks’ pitching now has 50 strikeouts to just six walks on the year while holding opponents to a .125 batting average.
--Alyssa Brito led the way offensively, finishing the weekend 4-for-7 with a pair of home runs, three RBIs and three runs scored.

On Deck: The Ducks return to Eugene before heading back to Arizona for a nonconference weekend featuring a pair of games against No. 1 UCLA and one vs. Utah starting Sunday. 

Cruse_FS

Mr. FishDuck