lownslowav8r

Justin Herbert Carries Chargers to Victory

WWW.LATIMES.COM

Justin Herbert was not having a great game against the Titans, but with the game on the line in the final seconds he leads Chargers on key drive to victory.

He was terrible. He was tortured. He threw two interceptions. He tossed a ball off a face mask. He flung passes to nowhere. He couldn’t find the end zone. He couldn’t find himself.

In the final minutes against the Tennessee Titans on Sunday at SoFi Stadium, Chargers’ quarterback Justin Herbert was beaten.

But he was still barking.

“I got it!” he screamed at his teammates on the sideline. “I got it fellas! You just give us a chance and we got it!”

Moments later, with the score tied and 44 seconds remaining and the ball on their 23-yard line, the Chargers gave him that chance.

And, yeah, he got it.

Wrapping the team in his giant hands, owning the city on his giant shoulders, doing it all with the tiniest of smiles, Justin Herbert got every inch of it.

“There was no flinch,” he said.

No blink, all bling, his three perfect passes executed with no timeouts leading the Chargers on a drive that resulted in a game-winning 43-yard field goal by Cameron Dicker to give them a 17-14 victory and put them on a direct path to the playoffs.

“It’s like poetry in motion, watching Justin,” said Chargers defensive tackle Sebastian Joseph-Day.

It’s lyrical and meaningful and fun. It’s like witnessing a young Kobe Bryant, a fresh Mike Trout, a clean-shaven Clayton Kershaw, a cradle filled with greatness, the start of something enormous and enchanting.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 2

Herbert is going to win a ring. I don’t know when, but I feel it.

• Go Ducks! 1