cartm25

2022 FINAL: Oregon's Historical Offensive Performance Compared (Best Viewed on PC or Wide-Screen)

I've made the data more dynamic so I can show results with potential outlier conditions removed.

**Let me know if you'd like to see other specifics (e.g., performance against P12 opponents only).** I'm considering adding criteria that would show how the offense performed against opponents that finished the year with a winning record or ranked to get a sense of performance against quality teams. Let me know if that is of interest . . . or overwhelmingly boring.

I'll make one comment about Kenny Dillingham's 2022 offense . . . The efficiency (OTD% and Points per Possession) is mind-boggling. With full unadjusted data, the 2022 offense was 2nd in efficiency behind the 2014 CFP Ducks team. In the adjusted version shown at the bottom, KD's 2022 offense is 1st in efficiency (and look at Willie Taggart PPG when Herbert was healthy/playing).

First - Full Year Unadjusted Data

image.thumb.png.542e1ea2c9f310c1077b966ab14b59d5.png

Second - Full Year Adjusted Data

- 2022 - Removed the "unfair" GA game, primary game Nix was injured (vs Utah), and Bowl game in which KD did not call plays

- 2017 - Removed the 5 games Herbert was injured, and the Bowl game Herbert did not play in

- 2007 - Removed the 4 games Dixon was injured

image.png

• Thanks 1
  • Great post! 1

Wow

Good gosh....whether adjusted or unadjusted, it is "Good-or-Good."  The offense really made up for special teams underperformance, and poor defense.  But for one play where Bo got injured...

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 3/1/2023 at 7:58 AM, cartm25 said:

I'm still amazed at how much the D and ST contributed to scoring during the Kelly era.

Tom Osborne was not appreciated to the degree he should have, and those stats confirm it.

The rules are being suggested to shorten the game by eight plays or so, which would be over 100 less over a season for the reduction of injuries.  Not referring to the suggestion of the clock continuing after an incomplete pass, but the new one reported today--after a first down is made.

With a shortened game and fewer drive opportunities....it means that the efficiency you researched above becomes that much more paramount.  Dilly stated before the season that he did not have a point goal per game, but wanted to be as efficient as possible.  And boy was he--wow.  (THANKS so much for this!)

Stein will need to adhere to that as well...

Will Stein at UTSA_Screenshot from InsideRunnerSports.com Video.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck